Military Enlistment

I have a question, my hubby wants to enlist but I really don't want for him to because we're expecting our first child through adoption in June. I am afraid that he will miss a lot of important stuff with his first child and I don't want that to happen but he is determined to enlist. He wants to go into the Army but they have a high deployment rate and that's scary! 8 months away from my love is a bit much! What do I do?

cjordan86

Asked by cjordan86 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• All branches of service have high deployment rates,there is a war going on in the middle east!!!!!! I hope it does not stop u being able to adopt if he is not there. U need to find out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No hun, it won't stop adoption. They have military absentee adoption!
    cjordan86

Comment by cjordan86 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• In this economy let him do it my husband is in the Marines and he is in a deployably unit and i am 6 months preg and he will be deploying when our first daughter is born so you arnt alone but the pay they get is amazing and it really helps. Make scrapbooks take pictures home videos everything and let him have it when he gets home. Many many military families never get to see their babies born and first steps and stuff so id say let him go and just make sure u record the memories
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 5:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That is good about the adoption.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• @ Anonymous, he wants a job that specifically puts him on the front line because he LOVES guns! It's power to him. Not to say that he's crazy because he doesn't own one but he wants to be an MP (Military Police) or some sort of Combat specialist. That requires him to be on front line. I'm from a military family so I KNOW for a fact that he will be deployed because his recruiter told him so. We want to go back to GA which has a high deployment rate. So please don't make it seem as if I'm overreacting just because I don't know if I should support him going in or not.
    cjordan86

Comment by cjordan86 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• @Anonymous,that's absolutely not true. Every job is deployable, even desk jobs. It's rare for a servicemember to not be deployed at some point during their career. Cooks, mechanics, doctors.....they all deploy.
    LOswald0314

Answer by LOswald0314 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Please tell him he does NOT want to be MP. Has he looked at other branches besides the Army? (Sorry, I have a huge loathing of the Army and what they did to my father.)

My husband is in the Air Force, and it has actually been wonderful for us.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• @ hopeandglory53, nope. Army is what he wants! LOL! My ENTIRE family is Army! LOL!
    cjordan86

Comment by cjordan86 (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• LMAO... My DH is active army for 5 almost 6 years now and is a parachute Rigger, we are in ft. bragg now, and ft. benning before, and he has NEVER deployed... he doesnt train, or anything! e have 5 kids ages, 8,5,4,1, and 4 monthes, a rigger is a low density MOS nad rarely deploys if not volunteering to! It will be okay, as an army wife, I LOVE my life, my benefits, and my army community! GL!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2011