Why is it socially unacceptable for a woman to have male friends?

I don't mean a FIB (Friend In Bed) I mean a friend friend, like might as well be another chick friend.. He isn't gay, I'm not gay and because of that everyone has to gossip about it, WHY?!? It's not just the one friend everyone freaks out about it's all my guy friends.. WHY?! What can I do to get this to stop, it sounds very childish to have to stop hanging out together just because they might have a penis and I don't. ya know?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 5:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• story of my life, I've got more guy friends than girlfriends and it seems that so many just can't accept it.
    welcome to the club!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• People can't get away from the idea that you are only friends with the opposite sex to HAVE sex. It's stupid.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have male friends and we don't have any problems with it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't know. I think it depends on the relationship and the trust that is there. I trust my LP not to cheat or do anything inappropriate when he is out of my sight, the same as he trusts me. Honestly, even if the male/female friendship issue was no part of it...I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how someone could want to be with a person they cannot trust out of their sight. To me, that would be a hard way to live.

What I don't get is that if he is your ex, what difference does it make!! Why does he think he gets a say?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• wait...he's your ex? Why is it his business?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It shouldn't be an issue...if it weren't for my male friends... I wouldn't have many friends at all! Yeah... lots of people look at me funny and talk shit about me (whore, slut, all that crap) if I hang out with my guy friends, but that's their problem, not mine. I'm happy being me...
    Pip-Squeek

Answer by Pip-Squeek at 7:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• your ex has no say....regardless if you have your DD's living with you. Your relationships & friendships are none of his business....if you think it is his business...then that is sad. You guys are ex's for a reason...he sounds controlling....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think the bottom line is that the wives/girlfriends are very insecure. I've asked about this before and I get responses like 'but he might be crushing on you' as long as no line is crossed, I say big deal. But then I consider someone having a crush to just mean they are human, so whatever on that one. besides, even if he did develop a crush they usually fade over time anyway.

Too many people just can't imagine that two people that are close of different sex could be just friends.
    One of my good friends bothers my DH, but he knows that I will never give him the boot and he accepts that. on the same note, I've asked why does this guy friend who has never shown a romantic interest in me bothers him so, but a female friend of mine that has shown romantic interest (long time ago) doesn't bother him at all!?
    this questions stumps even him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am VERY jealous of you dancer.. very much so. went to the Zoo today and asked a guy friend along.. as soon as the pictures went up on FB my ex called FREAKING OUT.. so did pretty much everyone else.. pisses me off!
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Must be who you socialize with.

That is not an issue with the people I know. If one of my female friends had a male friend it is totally acceptable. We are all adults. We have all been married 13-20+ years. We are all honest, moral, adults who dont play games with our spouces. So unless there was something odd (weekends away, lies to our spouces and friends) no one would give it a second thought.
    Anonymous