I usually let my 15 month old roam throughout the house for a bit then we go back into the gated living room, I feel bad staying in there most of the day but he's into everything, is it bad to keep them confined to one room most of the day??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i don't think so i try and keep my son confined except now we re arranged our living room so theres no way to use gates... so he gets into EVERYTHING and he's only 8 months. i wouldn't worrya bout it!!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I keep my son confined to 2 rooms most of the time. I don't think it's bad as long as he has enough to do and enough interaction and stimulation.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Not at all. Until you feel they have reached the age to be safe, (about 25) I would do the same! LOL!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• depends, do you have a 1 story, or a 2 story? i have a 1 story, and i just block the kitchen off. i have those locks that go over handles (since he learned how to open doors) so he can't go into any rooms, except for his room, cuz i put the lock on the inside of his door. maybe you can do that? it really depends on how comfortable you are. if that's all you really can do, then i suggest you try to take him out, not every day, but at least once or twice a week so he can get some energy out. kids tend to get antsy if they're inside all the time. it doesn't even have to be out at a park, especially since it's cold outside. some places have indoor play areas at a mall, which is free, but if you don't have that, you could try a jump zone or something that's cheap. or find a playgroup.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Not as long as they have things to do, if they are playing with the threads on the carpet you've got a problem but otherwise they are fine. Think of how big the room seems to them!
    sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 12:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• As long as they have plenty of things to play with and plenty of interaction with you, I don't see a problem with it. My son is two, and even though I don't gate off any part of the house anymore, we spend most of our inside time in the living room. It's where we keep his toys, and it's set up to give him more room to move and play than the rest of our house.
    ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 1:32 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as he's constantly entertained (by his toys or by you) and has room to run around. :)

Because of the way our apt is set up, I'm unable to block my 2-year-old in one area, and it's frustrating because she is getting into things allllll day long. I do keep the bedroom/bathrooms doors shut, but...I would do anything to be able to keep her confined to the living room for at least part of the day! :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• NO as long as ur baby has food, water and toys, ur baby will be fine. mine donsnt like it, but its the only way i can clean the house, or else the floor will be a mess again.
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 9:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008