How do I handle hitting?

My two year old occasionally hits both me and my husband. He isn't angry when he does it, and we always tell him not to hit, but I need a better solution! Thanks in advance for your help.

1truebeauty

Asked by 1truebeauty at 5:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When mine would do it I would take their hand, look them in the eye (with a serious look on my face) and say in a very stern tone "NO. We don't hit, hitting hurts" and then try to re-direct them to do something else. The trick is to be consistent and do it every time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I let myself get a little over dramatic to show my son that hitting can hurt me. He hears me fake cry and rub where he hit me and now knows to apologize and give me a hug.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree with the above. We always pretend (or really if you can manage) to cry and then tell her that it hurts and not to hit because hitting hurts.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree with showing them that hitting can hurt. Cry, hold your spot he hit, It will make him feel bad and soon he won't do it becouse he doesn't want to hurt you or hid dad. good luck
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011