Want to have a garage sale, how do you decide to price items?

My husband says he will just do it when I go out of town,, LOL! For instance we have a nice leather couch and chair that match, the couch has 1 small rip, the chair is perfect,, we paid about $800 for them, and I said perhaps we could sell them for $150? He told me a garage sale is to get rid of things and wants to mark them at $50 for both,,,,, How do you decide?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 5:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I always try to price stuff at what I would be willing to pay for it. I would say if you're at $150 on the furniture and hubby is at $50, try $100. You can always do a two day sale and lower it the second day. For kids' clothes I normally do something like 50 cents for shirts, $1 for jeans, then price dresses, coats, etc. separately at $2-5 depending on how expensive they were to begin with. Things like maternity clothes, I'd say you could sell for a little bit more, like $3-5 an item. Regular adult clothes would be $1-2 an item. Toys should be in the $1-3 range unless they're really expensive to begin with. Don't even bother trying to sell stuffed animals. Everyone has too many already! lol Put them out for free or take them to Goodwill.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Tiny things/holiday decorations-25 cents medium things/toys/sports stuff/hats-50 cents large things 1 dollar plus :)
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 5:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would put the tag at $150 for both and be willing to take $75 if someone asks you to go lower.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• 150 seems a bit much for something with a tear in it. I would maybe say $45 for the chair and $30 for the couch or $60 for the set. He's right at a garage sale you are trying to make it go away. Perhaps list the chair on Craigslist if you were hoping for more since it is in better condition...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't pay 150 for something with a tear in it. I'd say your hubs is more on track. Maybe 75 is probably the most I'd attempt to list it for. But be ready to barter down to 50.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• For large items I would put them on craigslist try to get what you want out of it before your sale at home. If they aren't sold then settle for the 50 just to get rid of it.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 7:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I price to sell. I'd rather price low and sell it quick than get stuck with it.
    Anonymous