Animals and kids.

I right, looking for a little fed back. What does everyone think about having pets around kids. Is it good for the kids to have a pet and what kind of pets are best for kids. Even our little toddlers

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Pets

• My children grew up with cats and we never had any problems , though as toddlers they learned the hard way that it is not wise to be rough with a cat . Fortunately cats are very forgiving and cuddly so they are probably the most suitable pets for young children . We have had other pets as well.

They are also ideal for teaching children , as they grow older , to take responsibility for another living being Cats are easy to take care of and our daughters are now responsible for looking after them . The girls love animals which I think is a result of them growing up with four-footed friends .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think it's a good idea but you have to be very careful with both of them.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I'm no authority but kids are often allergic so bring your child around someone's pet for a while before deciding. Also, cats aren't tolerant really, of smaller kids. Here, we couldn't rescue a cat because none of the shelters would give us one because our kids were under age 8. Strange. But now I see why. I have a tolerant kitty but we got her as an 9 month old. Rowdy kids don't go so well with a cat at least.
    Anonymous

• I think nice pets are great for kids.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Dogs and cats are great for kids IMO. They have to be properly socialized, of course, and you MUST always watch your child while they are playing with the animals and teach them how to properly pet/cuddle with them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Their fine as long as you realize animals are no babysitter. YOU are the responsible party for making sure all animals are taken care of. Don't expect kids to do everything even if your getting a pet for them. Yes they can teach responsibility, but that lesson isn't going to happen overnight. Your also responsible to make sure your pet isn't a holy terror. So if you have little ones and your already on a tight schedule, think about how your going to fit in socialization and training for your pet as well. Pretty much, raising a puppy is like raising a child. Its endless, thankless, but ultimately rewarding.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my daughter has a guinea pig and a puppy. she's 3. guinea pigs very rarely bite so they are wonderful pets for kids. you have to spend a lot of time with them though because they are extremely skiddish at first. i'm not all that crazy about puppy, my mom got it for her.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 5:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My daughter loves our dogs. She's five and she helps take care of them and she enjoys playing with them. It's been nice because she didn't have any siblings (now we have a boy on the way) and they gave her someone to play with other than mom and dad.

I grew up having dogs and cats. At different points we also had a rabbit, a duck, a lizard, fish, a turtle.. I have fond memories of growing up with lots of pets. My daughter loves cats, but hubby hates them, so we don't have any now, but I plan to get one or two for barn cats when we move to a bigger property.

I think dogs are great as long as you are willing to make the commitment, they're a lot of work and a pain it the butt at times. I think if you want a little lower maintenance, I'd go with a cat.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It depends on the breed. Beagles r good.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think pets are wonderful, but if you haven't taken care of one before, do your research,,, you need to teach your child respect around animals, and there are many good choices out there,, if your expecting your kiddo to take care of it,, keep in mind it probably isn't going to happen until they are older.. I love dogs, but the will bite out of pain or feeling threatened,, just like some kids..lol!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2011