Slapping hands !?

what is a good age to start slapping hands? my five month old get after everything !! and was just wondering what a good age to start that at? I DO NOT DO IT NOW ! I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT A GOOD AGE TO START THAT AT !! I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR TO EVERYONE THAT LIKES TO GET MAD AT POST LIKE THIS !!

SO AGAIN I DO NOT DO IT NOW !!!

Heavenbrwneyez

Asked by Heavenbrwneyez at 5:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not a good idea ever IMO. Baby proof the house and let the baby safely explore.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i would say about a year.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 6:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Ummmm no age..... there ARE better methods and ways to keep kids out of everything!
    Anonymous

• At 4-5 months old mykids all began grabbing at glasses or necklaces. You just take their hand and release what they're grabbing and say "don't grab Mommas glass" (or whatever it is). Your tone of voice and redirecting their hands is really all they need at that age. I didn't find hand slapping to be terribly helpful. Most kids it just teaches them to hit. I also tried hard to save the word NO for when it is emergency/ life or death kinda of things. Like grabbing for the oven, running towards a street ...things like that. If you use the word No often they become immune to it. If you rarely use it it impacts them greatly when all the sudden they hear you scream NO! That was not a lesson I learned with my first child, but I wish someone had told me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Well just remember every child learns differently. I tried it on my son and he actually started hitting other kids (including mine) hands. I always told myself I would do certain things for punishments but honestly it is all in how your child takes in certain things. One thing might work for one child and not work for another child. That is something that you will have to figure out :) There is no certain age to start it is when you feel it is time to start.
    amanda1503

Answer by amanda1503 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Around a year but I caution that it generally does not work and can make your child more aggressive as they get older.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You need to redirect the 5 month olds attention to something else.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• gently but firmly remove the object, say NO, and redirect... way better then slapping. If you slap they learn slapping/hitting is acceptable and then you have to deal with that next... better not to start.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• redirect their attention to something else, I dont think that is a good way to show your child that they shouldnt get into things find a different way mama!
    jadensmom14

Answer by jadensmom14 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Try redirecting first, but if you're gonna slap hands I'd wait til at least a year. But like a PP said, it does teach them to hit.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011