Anybody else here doesn't believe in Christmas?

I grew up believing in Christmas and in Santa. My husband didn't believe in either one of them. They never had a Christmas Tree up, but my family always did. DO you buy a Christmas Tree ?

SaferAtHome

Asked by SaferAtHome at 12:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Holidays

• Ours is artificial. We had so many tip over growing up and leaking the nasty green water everywhere...I don't want to deal with that in my house, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I do, and my mother-in-law thinks I'm being defiant for it. SHE doesn't believe in Christmas anymore, shrugging it off as a Hallmark holiday, because my husband forgot to get her a Christmas present one year. HE WAS 14! Nine years later, she decorates with Halloween things at Christmas, mourning the time of year :(
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• i do believe in christmas. i put my tree up on nov 15th :D artificial of course! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Yes. I love Christmas trees. I love the HOOPLA, as I have said many times on here. I've had my tree up since Halloween and I love it! One year, I didn't want to take it down.. so my daughter and I made it into a Valentine's Day tree!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Sorry to say this Katie, but you MIL sounds a little strange! We put up our artificial tree and we enjoy Christmas quite a bit!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Mishelly, you are NOT wrong. Not at all. lol. She's quite dramatic, actually.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• We are Lutheran so we teach the kids the "true" story of Christmas and they could tell you more about baby Jesus then Santa and his elves. But we do all of the Christmas stuff (tree, stockings, Santa, etc.) for the greandparents to get off our backs!
    sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 12:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Wow. Even if you celebrate it as a secular holiday, its still a time for gift giving and being around family and loved ones. I've heard of people not celebrating for religious reasons, or not liking it for personal reasons, but have never heard of someone just flat out not believing in celebrating.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• We have decided to become Jewish, but even still we put up a small tree and do the secular fun. I know there is debate out that. But I love the songs, getting together, food etc..it just brings back good memories for me. Of course as a child growing up Catholic I did also do the religious part.

I think it's just good fun to me and it creates warm childhood memories !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think its whatever you feel comfortable doing in your own household. Many traditions change or are different than when you were growing up. I know mine are different than my parents, and what they used to do. We did have Santa and knew about the real meaning of Christmas. My husband did n't do much for the holidays. They usually either ate out or had a ski trip during Christmas. And that's because he was an only child. You would think they would want to make more memorable memories for him, considering that. His mom was very strange.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 8:39 AM on Nov. 27, 2008