To return or not to return

So my hubby is in the military and we won't be home for Christmas, so we celebrated early this year. My mother got me a sewing machine... I am not a sewing kind of girl, and I can't see myself ever using it. I tried to act very excited when I opened it, but my mother can see right through me and knows that I'm not too thrilled about it. I told her it's very thoughtful, I just don't see myself using it.I don't even know how to use a sewing machine, at all. I know she spent a lot of money on it and she said I could return it if I'd like, but I don't want to hurt her feelings. I've never returned a gift that she's given me, and I am a big "it's the thought that counts" kind of a person, so I'm ok with letting it sit and gather dust in the corner... or should I return it and get something I will use. What do you guys think?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Holidays

• If you lived close by I'd buy it off of you so you could get what you want! I miss sewing. My grandmother taught me to sew and it's a wonderful world of creating things. You can save lots of money making your own items and for me it was very relaxing and fun. You could go take classes. Most sewing centers who sell machines offer a few free classes with the purchase. Try a local community center and see if they offer a class. I'd try it before I took it back. If you don't like it after trying it then get something you'd prefer. I keep hoping my kids will buy me one. I don't have tv and need stuff to do since I seldom leave the apt. You are one lucky one to have such a great gift.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Girl.. take up sewing! There are so many craft ideas you can do.. Make curtains, pillow coverings. Make the house over! I wouldn't take it back.. It's the opportunity to learn a new hobby!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Return it and get something you can use. Your mom can already tell you don't want it, I'm sure she wouldn't want it to sit and collect dust either.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I always say that if you haven't used something that you've had for two years, then get rid of it. Therefore, by my philosophy, if you don't plan on learning how to sew within the next two years, it will just be an ornament somewhere in your house. However, crafting is so fun! I started with a simple pillowcase and haven't stopped learning. My grandfather's girlfriend is teaching me how to quilt. I think that's something wonderful that I'll some day be able to create with my own daughter.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Return it and get something you will use, otherwise take a class and figure out how to use it...don't let a great sewing machine go to waste, they aren't that hard to use.
    sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 12:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• A suggestion for next year. At mom's house we make a wish list, usually its stuff not too expensive, of several items. I am a regifter, if I don't know where it came from and can't take it back. I would take it back and get something you need or want.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 8:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• return it! It can be one way she gives you straight cash! She probably knows you don't sew, so she gets you a sewing machine knowing you will return for some $$
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2008