What do YOU want to know...

I'm in the process of writing a business plan for our non-profit organization. We raise money to grant wishes of children with life threatening medical conditions as well as for some children's educational and recreational purposes. I've been a part of the organization for too many years to be able to clear my head and try to do this without any taking into consideration the knowledge I already have of the organization.

So....here's my question....assume you are the person that decides who gets your company/corporation's donations...you sort through hundreds of requests from non-profits that are asking you for a contribution. What do you want to know about my organization and what will make my organization stand out from everyone else and what would make you pick me to contribute to over everyone else???

Any advice would be very helpful and sincerly appreciated!

Pip-Squeek

Asked by Pip-Squeek at 6:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would want to know your non-profit's history. How have donations been used in the past, and how your organization has been more successful than other non-profits doing the same kind of work.

I would also want to know if you are a sub-division of any other organization or if you work directly with other non-profits. (For example, a community center in our city works very closely with the United Way, and I've heard that some people are unwilling to donate to them because of this.)

I would also want to know if your organization has any kind of religious affiliation, and if that has any influence on your mission or position statement. (Look up the Salvation Army's "About" section to see what I mean.)

Once your group makes the "short list", I'll also Google the heck out of you to check for any kind of problems or controversies, so be sure to address anything that might be questionable up front.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 6:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would want to know how you selected candidates, and what areas you serve. I would want to know what portion goes to the kids, and what portion goes to things like administrative costs. I would want to know what you do to keep your administrative costs low.

Basically I would want to know that my money was going to the cause I thought it was, and that it benefited my community.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thank you, thank you, thank you! That means I'm at least on the right track!
    Pip-Squeek

Comment by Pip-Squeek (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You may want to read through grants, and see what actual donors look for.   http://www.donorsforum.org/s_donorsforum/index.asp

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011