Child support question: what if you make more money than your ex?

Do you still get hcild support if you make more than your ex? How does that work?
We have kind of verbally agreed on 100$ a week for child support. But now that Toyota is cutting hours and stuff, he has lost all his overtime, and I am actually making about 400$ more a month than he is. We haven't started talking to laywers or anything yet... I am just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes he still pays. The state looks at both parents income and then they come up with a % of what each parent is responsible for income wise. They do that and then give him an amount he has to pay. So lets say in your case you have a combined income of 2800 a month and child support for $2800 is (lets just say) $600 a month. You would be responsible for more then 50% since you earn more, and he would be responsible for lets say 40%. They would order him to pay the 40% of $600.

Answer by gemgem at 6:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I'm not 100% positive, but I honestly don't think it matters who makes more. His child is his responsibility, so regardless he still has to help support him/her financially. KWIM?
    Addisons_Mom723

Answer by Addisons_Mom723 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Who ever has primary custody of the child pays child support, if you have equal time no one pays. example if you get the child 3 1/2 days a week and he gets the child 3 1/2 days a week No one pays child support. I have a cousin who did this with her hubby, they split time equally. If you get the child during the week and him every other weekend or something then he would pay you child support.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The idea of child support, from my understanding, is to restore the conditions a child would have expected if he/she continued to be in the two parent home. If both sides are fabulously wealthy, then the child would have been able to enjoy that lifestyle if they were together, and they want to get the child as close as possible to that. If it was two middle class incomes, the same. So as long as you have custody, he will be ordered to pay some sort of support.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It depends on the state requirements. In Illinois and Indiana, it matters not what you make. If you have primary care of the child, the other parent is responsible to pay 20% of their gross income.

XH and I based this upon what he would make with no overtime and only a 40 hour paycheck. Since he still has to survive and take care of DD when he has her, I didn't want him destitute so overtime was free money since it's not guaranteed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• yikes i have no idea sorry
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011