Long distance relationships.

is your SO rarely around due to travel, business, military, etc.? does this cause you to constantly rethink your relationship and feel like you would be fine without them because they're not around anyways?

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 6:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• My SO is an otr truck driver. I do not rethink our relationship constantly. As far as feeling like I would be fine without him because he's not around anyway...well, I know that financially I could do it myself, and I know that I would eventually move on with my life. But I would not want to do that. Even though he's not here a lot, the time we do spend together is wonderful, and the quality is enough that the quantity isn't all that important (yes, I'd like more time, but since it's not an option right now, I look at the quality). Plus, with the job he has, we can spend a lot of time on the phone together, so we talk enough that it's almost like we're together a lot.

I can see how someone would think those things, though. I think it takes an immense amount of commitment, trust, and believing that the relationship, and your SO, is worth it to make it work.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My SO is in the navy AND he lives out of state. I NEVER rethink our relationship. I know I would be fine without him, I AM fine without him here. But he is the best man I've ever known, so I want him in my life. And it saves him a lot of stress knowing I am good on my own. when we are together, it's the best.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 8:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My husband works out of state and is home on weekends. He's been doing that for 16 years so the kids and I are able to handle it after all these years. When we said, "I do" at the altar we meant it. This past year was a real test on our relationship but we are doing so much better now. It's not perfect but at least we are heading in the right direction now. When things get tough, remembering the old saying, "This, too, shall pass" really helps.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My hubs is a military man. Lives in a different state. And yes!! Since he has been gone I have seriously rethought our situation, relationship...everything. It makes me feel so horrible. Until I finally figured out why. Im so bored that I sit and anlyze evertyhing. Not that I dont do anything, I cook, clean, take care of our 2 year old... Im just not doing 'enough'. I need to keep myself so busy, that the only thing I have time to do, is miss him.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder- if your heart isnt pissy that he's gone in the first place. lol. Personally, Im either getting a job or going back to school. I know this positive step in my life can only help our marrige.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011