Is it rude?

Would you judge a parent who showed up to your childs birthday party without a toy? If you knew they couldn't afford it? Which is more rude, to not show up when you are invited because you can't afford a gift, or to show up with out a gift?? Had my friend ask and I wasn't sure what to tell her so I thougt I would get a few more oppionions

logansmommy711

Asked by logansmommy711 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would hope that the host/hostess would be gracious in this situation and realize that their friends were unable to afford a gift and not have the kids open gifts during the party.

I see nothing wrong with attending a party with out a gift if you are unable to afford one.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Well i think if they couldn't afford it then it would be ok, and i think kids to learn that its not about the gifts that you get. it should be more about spending it with your friends. So no, i wouldn't think it was rude, i would just think they are having a hard time.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You don't want anyone to miss celebrating a birthday with you and your family because they cannot afford a gift. Honestly
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I always tell people up front they dont have to bring a gift if they cant afford one, so to me its rude not to come to a bday party just because you dont have a gift.

Answer by gemgem at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• there are a lot of people who can't afford to buy things. I wouldn't think it's rude, especially if I knew they couldn't afford to buy something. but it's kind of rude to not show up to a party at all unless that person has said they might not be able to come
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The hostess and person of honor should be gracious and thank them for coming.

Answer by Bmat at 6:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't expect gifts for my kids when I have a party.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• what did your friend say?
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have never expected anyone to bring gifts for my kids at their parties but people do. I had one family where the kids made a card for my boys. You invite guests to come and celebrate.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Why can't people go to parties without gifts? Isn't the whole idea to have fun and enjoy the day with the birthday kid? I think it's rude to not go just because you don't have a gift. I am sure the parents and the birthday kid enjoy the company much more. I mean, food and cake costs a lot of money - I want people there to eat it, lol.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 6:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011