Formula ?

I have been breastfeeding and has been making my little one very gassy and fussy so i tried similac sensitive and it has really helped and i was wondering if anyone has ever tried walmart brand parents choice formula I was wondering if it was any good because lets face it some of us live on a budget and can;t afford 20 dollar can of formula and and they have the same ingredients so whats the difference?

ProudMommy134

Asked by ProudMommy134 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the generic formula works just as well. at least it did for my son
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The difference is primarily the brand name. They all have to pass set FDA standards, and when reading the label you should see any nutritional difference. They should be nutritionally the same.

My experience on Parents Choice vs. Enfamil - I didn't find that cheaper was necessarily the same for the price. Parents Choice was harder to mix - required more shaking and would get lumpy more than the Enfamil and clog the nipple. The Enfamil was finer. Also, the Parents Choice scoop was bigger than the Enfamil. So, even though Enfamil was more expensive - it's not one to one in measurements and Parents Choice required more - since it's not as fine as Enfamil. Also, my LO screamed when we tried Parent's Choice - it caused him more gas. Now, others use it and their baby is fine. But, I just wanted to point out the difference in the formulas. We also bought Enfamil in bulk at Costco - that helped.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• And yes OP I know you specified Similac, but I have never used that. I am generally an Enfamil buyer, but we did try PC and other off brands too when I stopped breast feeding. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• the reason why your baby is gassy from breastfeeding is probably cuz of soemthing you are eating. but i heard walmart brand is good
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• years ago my ped told me that it is all the same and to go ahead and do generic....she did for hers so then I did too!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• breastfeeding may have bothered him because of your diet or taking in too much air latching wrong. Breast milk is easier on the stomach than formula. My son had gas issues but is so much better since i changed my diet up. Pediatrician told me to change my diet and not to formula because it's actually harder on the tummy that way. Don't eat thing red or green because they tend to be the hardest on your belly as well as baby. Things that start with P (peaches, pairs, plums) are best for their tummy and digestion. Good luck
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 6:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I always used generic when I had to switch...

I agree if you are having issues with gas it could be latch or your diet. Unless you are just ready to be done breast feeding you may want to check with a consultant before throwing in the towel. Of course if you are done then your done! I just wanted to agree that you have options if you want them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree. Formula is expensive. We use wic. If we need formula we use our food stamps. I was gonna say just buy a can of walmart brand and see for yourself.
    ja2010

Answer by ja2010 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My pediatrician did a chapter on formula and she said it is all the same except Enfamil has a few more ingredients so it is closer to breastmilk. We use Similac and when our doctor told us it was ok to use whatever formula we wanted we switch to Good Start and it gave our baby such horrible gas that we went back to Similac and now only use Similac but if you go to Costco and buy it there it is only $2 more expensive than most places and you get a lot more and they allow you to use the $5 Similac checks that we get in the mail. If you go to Similac.com you can sign up and they will start sending you checks and if you know people that do not use Similac you can sign them up too and when the checks are mailed to them ask them to give them to you. The don't give you enough to go out and use for each time you need to buy formula.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We always use store brand. We buy Target because they have bigger containers. We haven't used name brand since our 3rd was 6 months (that was in 2003). Well, we used Similac a little when our 8mo was a newborn because it was on sale and the ready to eat was easier when he was taking 1oz bottles. Now we only buy store brand and we switch between brands all the time...it doesn't bother him as long as it's the same kind (he uses a "gentle" variety).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011