WHEN do you use "time out"?

I have found that "time out" means a LOT of different things to different people...and some people use it for EVERYTHING...so I was wondering what YOUR experience is.

We ONLY use it for extreme behavior like hitting or biting, they get instant "time out"...time away from play and sitting. If DS is not listening and I call him he gets "1,2,3" and then a penalty of either we leave where we are, he looses a toy or some restriction on the event we're at if we are not able to leave.
This works well for us so far.

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 6:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've used both. I use time out if 1,2,3 gets me nowhere
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree, people over use it and it becomes ineffective. I skipped time out and would just leave wherever we were. Sent a message lightning fast. I think I only left two restaurants and the park a total of four times.
    Anonymous

• i dont use time outs.. i spank. works wonders.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Time out for us is on the kitchen rug and there is a timer on the microwave she can watch count down. She gets time out when she breaks rules, is disrespectful or is just down right stubborn. We tell her why she's in time out and that she won't leave the rug until she calms down and says "sorry.' It works well for us...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I am a BIG fan of the 1,2,3 more...because it gives the child a chance to learn self control. They have almost NO impulse control until age 4, neurologically...so it seems unfair to jump to a major punishment, unless something is chronic. My son is high energy and very physical, so he is prone to pushing and hits on occasion still. I just have to stay on top of him...but the "1,2,3" part is most effective I find, because he knows I will take something away...or I'll say "If I get to 3, we are leaving"...and he can choose to change his behavior.
    Oh, we also use a timer for time out. It's GREAT...and when it beeps we both know it's over..and we can talk about the situation.
    boomamma

Comment by boomamma (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Sounds like you are doing great!! We never used time out but would take away their most favorite thing for an appropriate length of time. it worked well for us.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't necessarily do a "time out" If DS is out of control: hitting, yelling, throwing a tantrum I have him go sit down to calm down when he is calm he can get up and play. But if he hit someone then he needs to apologize to that person after he has calmed down.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 10:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• when I cant get them to calm down and listen. Thy are made to sit until they can talk without screaming.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I found when I di a time out, the situation would escalate into a full blown temper tantrum. i kept putting her back in the place when she got up & she'd keep getting up & then threw herself back & she hit her head on the wall. I am working on the ignore & walk away method when we r at home. in public she gets a warning b4 we go that if she misbehaves we will leave. If she starts acting up she gets one warning & then we leave. At home i walk away when she is not going to hurt herself 7 go in the other room. If she follows I go into the hall 7 sit down. then she thinks I am sad & she tries to comfort me & we talk calmly about what happened. It works sometimes but she does push my buttons on a daily basis!
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 6:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• we don't it doesn't and hasn't worked for either of my boys we give them a warning and then a swat on the bottom and then start taking privileges away
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:56 PM on May. 21, 2011