Do you think people exaggerate about their children sometimes. i know my parents do this about my daughter so i was wondering.

my parents. mostly my mother exaggerates everything my daughter does like big time. always saying how smart she is and just way above average. i am just not a person to be like that. i know she is smart and i love her for whoever she will be smart or not. but if she is just average intelligence and works hard and is not gifted like my mother thinks i will be fine with that too. so what does everyone thing. anyone else thing some people just over aggerate on how smart their kids are.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 6:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• a lot of people like to think their kids are way smarter than they actually are, not only being smarter, but a lot of others things as well.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Oh I dont know. I know my kids strengths and weaknesses but maybe it is because I have a child with Autism and one that is Bipolar. So I may not be the "norm" myself. For instance I know my oldest is very intelligent, she always has been and tested above level consistently and has a high IQ. I know my youngest is very beautiful, but is of average intelligence. I know my youngest son is advanced gifted and is not into sports & is some what of a nerd. I am more honest then alot of my friends though.

Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my mom does it in both directions...my kids is a genius and if she is sick she is dieing.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• yeah i just not a bragger like that. i know what she does and does not do. she is who she is. its just not who i am. yeah i guess i am not that competative that way. but she is still little so who knows.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I see a lot of Moms put their kids on pedestals and just think they are truly the brightest, smartest, most beautiful children in the entire world. While I think it's a good thing for parents to believe that, I also think it's something that should be kept for... home or family talk... I suppose you could say. You can't always walk around and just announce to the world how 100% completely and utterly perfect your child is. It gets a bit annoying to hear Mom after Mom after Mom after Mom.

Example, when I say that my child isn't talking as well as others, and then Moms step in and assume that she might have a problem. All kids develop completely differently and where some might excel, others might not be so quick to pick up.

I think it's important to remember our kids are basically a rainbow. All of completely different patterns, twists and turns and each a completely different color that resembles themselves.
    Anonymous

• I think it is a matter of pride, I know I am very proud of my kids. Neither one is a brain surgeon or genius, but I think they are awesome and brag every chance I get.
    BraenatsNeeNee

Answer by BraenatsNeeNee at 6:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Your mom just loves her granddaughter and wants what best for her. Having someone else talk about your child is wonderful for her self esteam.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Grandparents are sort of allowed to do this! But you need to keep things real and not let it go to your kid's head. Nothing wrong being proud and encouraging.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Children learn their self-confidence from the people around them. I think I would rather my Mom think my child is gifted than to to alway be comparing her to another as in way can she be as good as and so on. Parents and grandparent are supose to believe their child can do and be anything it is normal and health to a point.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2011