Best advice on going from one to two?

What is the best advice you'd give a mom that is soon to have her 2nd child...in terms of how things work going from 1 to 2 children. My son is 2 & my daughter is due in July so just trying to get some tips to make life easier on me :)

NCmommie421

Asked by NCmommie421 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• It IS more work. So, let something go (laundry, eat breakfast for dinner) and don't try to control everything. Sleep when you can.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Make your son part of everything, let him help with things, spend one on one time with him when the baby is sleeping!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would say no one prepared me for how tired I was going to be. Going from 1 to 2 was the hardest by far for me (and I have 5). Be prepared for anything would be another. My son was born nocturnal, so that put a serious crimp is any schedule I had thought I might have. Ask for help. Please dont be ashamed and ask for it now. Tell your mom, mil or whoever you might have to come stay the first week or so and that way you are not overwhelmed.

Answer by gemgem at 6:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• right now my husband and i live at my moms w/ her so she says she will be giving my son a lot of attn at first. i am just worried about when my husband goes back to work. im having a home birth so i wont be in the hospital for 2 days or w/e but he will be off for 2-3 days when she is born, plus he is off fri, sat, and sun.
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It will be a big change to your life, as nice as it is that your mom is willing to give your son extra attention....he will still need it from you and his father. Let him be involved with helping care for the baby, maybe set some time aside for just you and he when the baby sleeps(even if it's just to read a book together) I have 4 boys and the hardest for me was going from 1 to 2....the rest seemed an easy transition...not sure why...haha
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That is a perfect age difference. It will be harder the first 8 months, but once the baby can interact with its brother, things become much easier. They will play together and keep each other busy. You've already been through it, so you will be much more relaxed. It is so much easier the second time around. Good luck and don't worry!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The best advice I ever got was to make it about the older one for awhile when the baby comes home. Give him one on one attention (from both you and DH) so he does not feel replaced. Make him your big helper by handing you wipes, diapers, etc. Heap tons of love and praise on him. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Ok well I just now made this same transition not to long ago our 3 yr old Blaze has a new baby brother who is now 4 months old and at first he was excited, because we talked to him about having a baby brother soon, and I also to took him to a new sibling class that he found a lot fun. It taught him that he was going to have a new sibling and that he had to be careful because the baby would be very fragile. Now that our youngest is 4 months old his older brother tries to help us out with him a lot, he tells us when he is crying (even if we already know and are trying to get him to stop). But what we did is we always used the term "your baby brother" never the baby or my baby or anything like that and that has seemed to help a lot.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2011