Do you consider yourself a gracious person? How do you show it?

Today has me thinking. I am about to go back to the hospital to see my mother who is now recovering from brain surgery, and I guess we were always raised to thank the professionals that go out of their way to help us. I guess part of what my mother instilled in us is that, while it might be "their jobs", they don't have to put the thought and care into it that they do, and they should know they are appreciated.

I usually pull them aside individually and tell them how much I appreciate the special things that they did, and then send a thank you card later to follow up. However, this time, I don't think it is enough...they have been SO wonderful.

This doesn't necessarily have to be related to doctors/nurses, but just in general. How do you show your appreciation? What do you think would be appropriate here? If you are a doctor or nurse, what would you appreciate most?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'd get a box of tea bags that has some fun not normal flavors you can get a box with like 3/4 kinds in it. I like the cups of soup idea. Oranges, Apples, Pears, Bananas fruit like that so it can stay out & is easy to grab & wash. Dried fruit or trail mix. Usually you can always get snack packs so its all sealed up. Those flavor water sleeve things are real popular now a days & easy to just mix into your glass/bottle. Popcorn, chips, pretzels, etc.

Little things are always appreciated, or that is what I appreciate in life. Make the card out to the entire staff & explain the length of stay & surgery your mom had & say how they went above & beyond to make sure she & her family were comfortable. You dont have to do anything over the top to get your message across. Glad to see other people out there wanting to pay it forward or being nice, whatever you wanna call it but more need to be like this =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• How about a basket full of fruit/snacks? That would be a good thing for them to put on the breakroom table. I'd do some individual snack packs, oranges, apples, hot tea, hot choc, flavored water packs, etc. Everybody likes to save a few bucks, you could put a card along with it saying thanks for being so good at what they do or whatever.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I like that idea, because I know that sometimes they don't have the option to leave for lunch and are constantly getting their breaks and lunches shifted around due to their workload. Something that would be quick and ready for them would be nice. Maybe some cup-o-soup packets, too?

I am just so impressed with everyone I have met at this hospital, I think they deserve to know! They really have been the best of the best, and they have taken their time with us. It has made all the difference in the world to our family.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• bakinga basket/ tray of assorted cookies or doughnuts. you cannot go wrong. everyone loves cookies and or doughnuts. simple and tasty.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We sent a very large fruit basket to my moms oncologist and staff after her surgery. And then, after she passed away the following year, I sent her oncologist a thank you note for his care and concern for her. He always made her feel beautiful even when she was bald, and he always made her laugh.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 8:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Isn't it amazing the difference a good, caring, doctor can make in such a difficult time?! I am glad to hear more stories about those who are excellent at their jobs, as opposed to the few bad who give a whole profession a bad reputation.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2011