What is your number one money saving tip?

I use my local paper's shopping ads to grocery shop sometimes to find the best prices possible. I also use the Walmart gas card here to save 3 cents a gallon (I know it's not much but hey. lol)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 7:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Draw up a monthly budget and use the "envelope" method. Withdraw cash and file it in envelopes marked with the appropriate label, such as "gas" or "groceries." When you are out of cash, you have nothing left to spend.

Oh, and pay off your debt as soon as you can. It is very freeing!
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 7:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Set a reasonable budget and STICK TO IT.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Always check what you've been charged for everything. I buy most of our clothes at thrift shops and believe this saves a lot in a year.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No eating out! No alcohol no gambling "education lottery" no cable.Grow your own food and herbs (no not that kind) Buying clothes and Christmas out of season (except my growing madly 3 year old) taking old clothes to consignment shops also shopping there. No nickel and diming.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 7:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Always pay yourself first. Whether it's $20 or $200 a payday, put a little aside. Live within your means. If you can't pay cash for it then you don't need it. Coupons, a small herb or vegetable garden help. I grow my own basil, parsley, oregano and the seed packets cost less than a dollar. I used to pay $3.00 for a package of a few basil leaves.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Don't shop for entertainment.
    Dichroic

Answer by Dichroic at 8:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my paycheck in savings, hubbys gets used..
    i go for deals, coupons, kid eat at reasurant specials.. ect
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• a family of five we live off under $100 a week spending cash ((cause of this we have a sizable savings))
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Add to savings first, pay the bills and what ever is left must last. Only pay cash, no credit cards at all.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Always cook at home and shop using a LIST and use coupons for things you NEED.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011