young mom in need

ok so iam in a little problem well let me start with that iam trying to decide what religion to babtise my son his grandmother is jahovah witness and he is a catholic and iam christian. i really want to dedicate him christian because he wont really be babtised because they dedicate them so they can choose when they now the differance. and iam almost convinced my boyfriend to do so but really just wondering how to work around this so everyone is happy because i dont want to afend no one at the same time give my son to god. has anyone every went through this and how should i go about this without affending anyone.. this is just a really touchy subject and dont want to say the wrong thing! thank you all!! and please no bashing on our beliefs thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The best advice I can give is for you and your husband to sit down and talk about this. You have to do what you think is best for your child. Grandparents and extended family don't really have a say in how you raise your child. Maybe having your child baptized in a catholic church and then dedicated in a christian church?
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have my son back to the Lord when he was 1month old and he is 8months now and I would rise your son up in a christian church just like you are. Don't worrie about what other people thank its what's best of your baby and do what is right for your baby and you okay? God bless message me if you need to talk more :)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think you are absolutely on the right track. You are a Christian and so you child will be raised (mainly) in that faith (I assume). If you and you DH agree, dedicate him and let him decide when he is old enough to make the choice what religion he wants to be baptized into. Explain it to your family in exactly that way and tell them that in no way are you discounting their religions, you are just giving your child the freedom to choose.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 12:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• my DH is catholic, im nondenominational christian. he really wanted our kids to be baptized into the catholic church, but my problem was that when you do that, you are saying you are raising your children as catholic. our kids go to both churches. so we did a baby dedication in a nondenom church. that is just saying you are dedicating your child to God. that you agree to raise him/her knowing the ways of the Lord. you can do that whether you are catholic or other type christian. the extended family should not have a say in this. it is complicated enough since you and BF are having a hard enough time. you will not please everyone. and the whole point of this is not about pleasing anyone but God. if you make about anything else, you might as well skip the whole thing. its between you, baby, and God....:)
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 2:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I am a wiccan, but as such we have a practice called Wiccaning. It is similar to christening/baptisms, but it doesn't dedicate the child to any particular path. Basically it's a ceremony asking God(s) to watch over the child and protect them until they are old enough to find their own path... It's a really good idea for people who are in mixed faith families.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• You need to do what you and your man think is right. If you are Christian and plan on raising him in a Christian church, then why would you baptise him Catholic?? Your family and his family will just have to deal with it. If YOU and your HUBBY want to dedicate him in a Christian church then do it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Well sweetie you will never please people no matter who they are for one thing. God bless you and your boyfriend with your baby so you guys make the decision you feel that is best for him. And so far you have made the right choice and that was to give him to the Lord at a young age. Train him in the right path with the leading of the help and you will never go wrong.
    jesspraise35

Answer by jesspraise35 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• This is your child Baptise your baby what ever your spirit man is urging you to do if some one has some thing ugly to say then let them know that you have done what you feel like the Lord wanted you to do. As long as your dh and you are in agreement that is all that matters.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 2:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I can't say religously, but one thing to think about is, a baptisimal certificate is a legal document, and if you should ever lose his birth certificate or something, you can prove his name, age, citizenship, and who his parents are with the baptisimal certificate. It is accepted by almost all courts, worldwide.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2008