Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have A question about back pay child support and tax money!!

Well My Sons Dad is a dead beat and is behind like 4000 in child support.. the year of 2010 he had a job for the hole year and did his taxes and got back money he received a letter the other day saying that 1200 is going to child support, in my mind i take that as coming to me.. but my friend said im not going to get it and the state is going to get it and take care of fees he may have with child support.. She said i should get back like 2-3 hundred!!
lol... true or false

Answer Question

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 13 (980 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • i guess it would depend on the laws in your states...has he been reported for back support?? if not, then they can't garnish his wages...I would contact a lawyer..just b/c he owes it, doesn't mean he'll pay it.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 8:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • it depends on if he owes anything to the state, like tanf or past medical bills. check your account status online or call them directly with your case number.

    Answer by staciandababy at 8:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Here in Fl. You would get it. It takes about 6 months but it comes to you. Unless he has older kids with someone else, then the older kids come first.

    Answer by Angela_1974 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • I've never heard of fees associated with child support? I mean, my state takes like $35/year out of my child support to cover everything. When I got my ex's taxes due to him being behind on child support it was every penny he was supposed to be getting back. Why aren't they garnishing his wages for back support?

    Answer by missanc at 8:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Normally you will get it. The fees they will go after him for seperately.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • ummm my dh and i have not received taxes in over 4 yrs.... he owes back chid support. Here in Bama, they take your taxes. He owes California. what happened was his ex wife was on welfare and he had to pay that back. he never had to pay CS... just that..

    Answer by bamamaof5 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • False.....You will be getting the full amount through the state that handles the child support case. They cant take that money from you. I know, we live with it, and have dealt with child support for 6 years now.

    Answer by ReReJohnson at 8:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.