Children with ADHD..Do they hoard? What can be done?

Ladyt811

Asked by Ladyt811 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Children with mental instability (ADD may be one form) almost always have more than one mental instability...

Anxiety drives most erratic or problematic behaviour, in Skinner fashion (Skinner was the guy with the dogs and the bells... the guy who pretty much discovered what is now called Conditioned Response) --child feels anxious, does something (washes hands, keeps a piece of trash, wriggles off the chair, counts, flaps fingers, pulls out eyelashes, bites nails) and feels less anxious. Behaviour 1, Anxiety 0. Repeat.

If the behaviour didn't do anything for the anxiety, it would quickly be extinguished... when it works sporadically --the first few times reliably, then from time to time, rarely, in a few bursts of successes -- it is reinforced to the point of addiction. It's how gambling, shopping, sex and everything else are addictable, too.

Allay the anxiety with healthier skills, all the erratic behaviour goes away.
    Anonymous

• My son doesn't. Can you do a weekly cleaning together? Or tell them that they can keep what fits in a certain box and then let them decide what is most important?
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• is if def adhd ?

sorry just hoarding food is well known with attachment disorder and attachment disorder is often misdiagnosed with adhd

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• anonymous you are confusing skinner with pavlov. It was pavlov who had the experiment with the dog's and the bell. Skinner had the famous box experiment.

IF your child IS a hoarder it is very important to seek professional help. People without hoarding problems have a very hard time understanding the deep attachment to these items and how traumatic it can be to be FORCED to get rid of them. It needs to be a process that is worked through. I made obsessive compulsive disorders my emphasis in my psych degree so please take it seriously and don't just make them get rid of all but what fits in a box like what someone else suggested. A trained professional can help your child to be able to let go of these things and heal in a way that won't traumatize them.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my dd is adhd... BUT she is also bipolar.. she use to hoard.... well she still does to a certain extent. FOOD was the main thing. we had to lock the fridge up with a bike lock and lock the pantry up as well. we would find food under her bed, in her closet, under the sink in the bathroom, in her purse, and backpack..... she would keep anything.... she is now 14, 15 in July... and she sees a theripest 2 times a mon. (sorry for spelling) when she was younger, we locked her closet up cause she would get into her closet and destroy her things. Her councelor, dad and I have seen a lot of change in her. She has no bedroom now, no privacy. ONLY because she destroyed her bedroom....
    i hope and wish you the best.. GOD BLESS....
    bamamaof5

Answer by bamamaof5 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thx!! Bamamaof5.. You KNOW eactly what I'm going through..Didn't want to have to lock up food, I did this with my oldest son..Its SOooo tiring. I'm a mother of 5..the boys are ADHD (2) the olderst is now 23 & out of the house.. Now here I go again.. my other son is now 12 and it seems like history is repeating itself, I'll try counseling 1st. Thx!
    Ladyt811

Comment by Ladyt811 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Not all children with ADHD have the same symptoms, behaviors, and otherwise severities (or minor) of the disorder. Some children with or without ADHD can be hoarders, but it is not a direct symptom of ADHD.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011