Parents with children with ADHD....

What were the signs early on? How did they behave as toddlers compared to other children? Was there behavior noticed by others?

rhonda111787

Asked by rhonda111787 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter was always active. She was 6 months old and refused to sit in a swing or anything that wasn't moving. She was happy as could be during tummy time and throwing toys at people. This continued on...and on. She could never sit through an episode of Dora, never sit through a meal (even a packet of gummies would have her getting up 5 times and forgetting she was supposed to be eating), she was distractable, and just all around hyper. Daycares and schools mentioned how she was hyper and distractable and not able to sit through the reading of a story. (I have never been able to read a book to her...after 3 pages she gets up). Family and friends didn't want to watch her as they knew nothing would keep her busy for long. She could never play with a toy or activity more than 5 minutes, no more than 5 minutes of a tv show, no more than 5 minutes without whining and talking to me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My son was always active and I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't concerning at all until it started to effect his learning and the learning of the other kids in his class.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• this is a question very close to my hear my 2 year old hyper , the nursey go go to want say hyper as a lot of bad kids get that title my sons not bad he just bouncy off the way. i get commets like " is he allways like this " or " wow dose he ever stop " and my favert " did he learn to walk at all " lol see my son runs everywhere . and yes i do know lots of 2 year old
    i know i know he 2 i willjust have to keep and eye on it till he is 5
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my dd started walking at 6 1/2 mons.. YES.. 6 1/2 mons... she has been NONE stop since then. She is now 14. She has also been on almost all the meds for adhd. she is now taking vyvance. (the strongest dose) and u can tell if she does not take it. she tweaks.. hyper was her middle name... would not sit still, always moving, cant keep her mind on one thing, always starting one thing and dont finish it and tries to start something else.
    bamamaof5

Answer by bamamaof5 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my son always confused me, he was alittle hyper but when we would tell him to settle down he would, but the older he got the worse it got for him. at school when he was 6 he started getting out of his chair and spinning but he has always been a really good kid so i didn't think he had it, not that kids with ADHD are bad but sometimes they just can't settle down. now when he doesn't take his pill we can tell, he is just all over the place. One thing he did as a toddler though, he stopped taking naps before he was 3 and i think that is why.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• She was officially diagnosed at the age of 5 and I didn't start meds until last month. Her handwriting skills have improved greatly and all of her grades have skyrocketing up. She is also now very artistic. She was never able to sit long enough to draw or color.
    ashisamom

• My son has always been "go go go". He never stops. He stopped taking naps when he was about 18 months old. He can't sit and watch TV, color, he always has to be doing something and he's very easily distracted. We took him to the developmental pediatrician last May (he'd just turned 4 in April) and he diagnosed him with ADHD. But to answer your question, yes, people noticed.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011