Would/Does it bother you?

Would/does it bother you or insult you if someone younger than you called you sweetheart/honey/darling? Im a waitress and my SIL is too. She uses these terms a lot for older woman (and younger too) and I was wondering if it would bother/insult you for a younger person to use these terms. I know of some that are bothered by it. Are you or would you be?? TIA!!

PS Im talking in a friendly way NOT sarcastic

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Travel

• Nope doesn't bother me at all, I do it also....I think it comes with the territory. You get pretty good reading people when you are in customer service...it's just like picking up queues on whether to talk mainly to the man or the woman...There will of course be people who it will offend...but within a couple minutes of talking (how's your day, may I get you a drink) you should have already felt them out and read their social queues. If for some reason you offend someone, as simple I apologize, I meant no disrespect, usually takes care of the situation.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Nope... I would rather hear that than Ma'am
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No. I hear it all the time
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Nope. If it's friendly as you said, then I wouldn't be bothered in the least.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• it does bother me. I don't know why, but it does.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• no it wouldn't bother me
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 8:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It doesn't bother me at all. I know a lot of people who use nicknames or "pet names" for people. It's their way of connecting with their costomer or otherwise stranger without having to dive into their biography.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes it bothers me. I think it's kind of disrespectful.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 9:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thanks ladies! Im not sure if Id be offended lol. i use pet names but more for kids. I feel like I dont have the right to call an older woman a pet name. Seems strange and disrespecftul to me. I know the intentions arent to be disrespectful but I think it can be innapropriate
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• not really
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 7:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2011