Totally freaked out!

So my DD is 7 1/2 months and is teething. I have started using the teething tablets, but she couldn't sleep so instead of the last dose of teething tablets before bed, I gave her some tylenol. 2 hours later, she started screaming at the top of her lungs, she was arching her back and crying and wouldn't respond to me or my DH's voice or touch. I could not comfort her. After about 10 min of not being able to wake her up, I rubbed some cold water on her face and offered her a bottle, which she took. She finally opened her eyes a couple of times while she was drinking the bottle then went back to sleep and calmed down. She's been sleeping now for a couple of hours, but I'm totally freaked out and can't go back to sleep for worrying about her. Do you think it was a nightmare, a reaction to the medicine, or what? Any advice or similar stories would be appreciated.

Kimebs

Asked by Kimebs at 12:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could have been a nightmare, or her teeth were really hurting her. i would just keep an eye on her for now...if it happens again, or you see something else un-normal, i'd take her to the doc.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• she was in a deep sleep..

my mom woke my sister up to tell her she's leaving go to the athroom. she stood up and fell down. my dad picked her up...she was like a noddle. we tried everything..we thought something was wrong..my dad was doing cpr when she woke up saying "oh mama" all she knows my dad was on her...so we took her to the er. Doc said she was in a deep sleep trying to walk.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I had a sleep disorder as a kid (until 16 or 17)...night terrors and sleep walking/talking. I hope my DD won't be going through that. Pray for me/her that this was a one time thing.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 12:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I am not sure since she is young, but children do get what is called "Night terrors."

Basically they scream and freak out but won't respond to you because they are still asleep. I have had these before and I swear they would happen when I was overtired and had eaten certain foods like cheese. I know weird...LOL.

As long as you followed the dosing on the Tylenol, she seems to be breathing fine etc..then it was probably just fluke. A scary fluke !!!

Do you have a monitor you could turn up loud so you can at least lay down but hear her breathing etc...I have a video monitor and LOVE it. Worth the money since my daughter use to get febrile seizures.

I hope the rest of the night goes smoothly and you can have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I really would check with a dr becuase it could be so many things. Maybe she was allergic to the Tylenol, maybe it wasn't teeth but something else not related. Could really be anything and a 7 mo old can't tell you what is wrong.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 2:50 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My daughter would scream when I gave her tylenol and not wake up very well. I don't konw anyting about the night terrors though. I stopped giving her any meds. even when she got shots. If your daughter has taken tylenol before and had no effects then you can eleminate that.
    hotty2u14

Answer by hotty2u14 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2008