Everyone says I spoil my DS

He's 4 months old and cries when he's not being held for the most part. I like having him attached to my hip for the most part. Eating is starting to become a hassle now that he's grabbing everything-and typing is getting a tad difficult, but he'll be getting a height chair this week.
The way I see it, in the primitive days, mothers always had their babies in their arms.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 8:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Spoiling is when the child pitches a fit and is then and there handed what they want and they know that's how it works. Spoiling occurs when the child is old enough to manipulate. So no you can't 'spoil' a baby. He is however capable of learning to be on his own some. Self entertaining is a skill that needs to be developed just like any other skill. It sounds like he might be ready to start getting a few practice sessions. While you eat lay him on a blanket or in a bouncer by the table and talk to him but allow him to explore keeping himself busy. Don;t pick him up the second he fusses a little bit, let him figure it out. Slowly increase the amount of time you give him to play on his on his own. IT may only be 5 min the first time. In a few days aim for 7 and then 10 and so on. You will both be happy he has learned this new skill once he has it down pat.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Tell your friends to mind their own babies... :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• How is he going to learn to be self-entertaining? How will he learn to crawl or walk? how can you do housework or cook? Does anyone else get to have time with him?
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 8:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You are right and at 4 months old it is hard to spoil, they need your touch and warmth.

Answer by older at 8:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• yeah right, you can't spoil babies, you are only developing a good sense of trust in people for him. good job.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Good.

What 'everybody' is expressing is their jealousy, that your son is getting what they were never allowed to need. When people get really angry about it at you, you could offer them a hug.

I have a friend who is insanely jealous of my kids getting driving around (still, actually, although they're 19 and nearly 22) because she had to walk everywhere as a kid --and made her kids walk everywhere too. But I drive my kids because I like being with them, and it's an easy, non-invasive way of spending a lot of time with them in any average week without them feeling they need to make a special visit, or me feeling like I have to drag them home. I like being with my kids, and it's a low-cost, easy and pleasant way to do so.

Just as I liked holding my kids --it made my life simpler, they were happier and so was I. Yay! A solution with no drawbacks!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I dont think at 4 months he can be spoiled. He and you will be fine.
    sent4u5041

Answer by sent4u5041 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you can't put him down without him crying....then you're creating a problem. Even at 4 months babies are learning and getting into habbits that they will keep. Children need to learn to self sooth themselves and that can't be done if he's never left to try.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I see this both ways. He is your baby and if that is what you wanna do...do it...tell them they can choose how to raise their own babies.

But then again...you do want him to be well rounded....to like many different things...laying on his belly to play, sitting in a seat to play, looking at things from different angles....etc. How will he learn that those things are fun if you dont help him learn to love them.

So whichever... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You cant spoil a baby. Ask any pediatrician.

Answer by gemgem at 8:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011