How young is too young for a child to be in delivery room?

I am currently pregnant with my second child due in August. I have a daughter who will be 4 shortly after my due date. I plan to have a hospital birth which will be a VBAC or else we would be doing a homebirth. I'm just wanting some opinions on who thinks my daughter is too young to be in the delivery room with my husband and I. I wouldn't allow her down by all the action but in a chair by my head. So opinions on whether she is too young would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• As long as she is prepared and you have someone who can take her in case she doesn't want to stay, I think it would be fine.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think it's too young...for several reasons, among which, she could be distracting for you while you're trying to have another baby.
    Anonymous

• Once they're 'too young' they're too young to notice what's really going on.

Someone needs to reassure her that you're fine and busy... if she's really attached to you, that might prove difficult for you. And her. And whoever's trying to take care of her while she's worried about you.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't think kids belong in the delivery room at all. SOrry,but I think it is way too much for kids.ANd I would want my privacy. No way would I want my kids to see that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think it all depends on your approach with her. I've attended births with children of all ages, even toddlers, in attendance, and it really just depends on what discussions you've had before, and explaining to her that it's normal. If you have a mom or a friend who can be in charge of taking care of her while you deliver that you don't mind having in the room with you, that might be a good idea, so that your daughter stays back, but can leave if she doesn't want to be there. I plan to have my son present when I have our next baby (if he wants to be), and he'll be about 5 or so.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Find out what your hospital rules are. Some won't allow children that young in the room during delivery. Personally, I didn't allow my 5 year old sons in the room when I had my daughter because I didn't feel they needed to be there and witness that.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think that's way too young to be in a delivery room for any birth, but particularly a VBAC since everything might not go as as planned.

Answer by missanc at 9:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My sister went in but she was 11 almost 12. She really wanted to go and I got to have the 3 most important people in my whole life there, my mom, baby sis, and my SO. But 4, IMO, is too young. plus in most states you can no longer let anyone in the delivery room because of that H1N1 scare. TBH my sister had to lie and say she was 15 to get in, they knew she was lying because we are on the same insurance plan, but the "didn't pursue it" and even after the nurse was like "How old are you really?"
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my kids had no choice to be in there when i had my 3rd :(.. they wer 2 an 4 at the time.. needless to say i regret them being in there.. for a very long time my 4 year old son was telling everyone his baby brother came out of my butt...
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think it's too young. I personally wouldn't want my five year old daughter to see me in pain. Plus I don't want to be worried about her while I'm trying to have a baby.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011