How do you potty train a 3 yr old partially potty trained boy?

My son is potty training and there are days he doesn't go in his pull up then there are times he goes several times a day. He refuses to poop in the potty. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Time out doesn't seem to work all the time. I'm not getting mad, just doing what has worked for others that I know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can't get mad. Don't give him time outs, give him time...like wait another four months.
    Anonymous

• Wait.

Eventually, he'll want to and be able to, neatly coinciding with him doing so. Anything that pressures him to do something he's not ready to do will push his ability and willingness further into the future.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• First, get him out of the pull ups. Put him in real underwear. Train yourself to take him to the bathroom (don't trust him to tell you). For poop, try to figure out his signals and for when he normally goes. Put him on the potty (my son trained on the toilet, and I found that turning him backwards on the toilet really helped him (and reading LOTS of books)). My son trained in a month at 27 months old. But I have JUST gotten (he's 3) to trust his word that he does or does not have to go.

And let the PP said, give him and you time.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You have to get rid of the pull ups. He will never train in them. They feel like diapers. Once he is in underwear he will be trained. Stay home for the first 3 days so you are by the potty.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Stop buying pull-ups they are a waste of money and they are just like diapers--be consistent and keep reminding him(every half hour if needed) and praise him when he does go in the potty---my sons both learned by sitting down at first and then mastered standing later on. getting them trained to poop in the toilet takes longer then peeing.

I would not put him back in diapers that is like taking a step backward. Be consistent and remind him every half hour if needed get some "special" undies and let him know that he has to keep them dry or you will have to bleach them and then they are no longer his "special" underwear. Be consistent and patient pooping in the potty always takes longer to master then peeing. Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:54 PM on May. 21, 2011