Balance Bikes?

I'm looking to buy my 4 year old a new bike. He and his 5 year old brother share a Trex tricycle and 12" two-wheeler. I thought it was time he got his own. So as I started to look I'm seeing a lot about balance bikes - I've never seen these! Are they worth it or is a 4 year old too old for it? Even my 5 year old who is afraid to fall off his bike would probably benefit...thoughts?

romanojm

Asked by romanojm at 9:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We couldn't afford a balance bike, but we did have a couple extra hand me down bikes that my husband simply removed the pedals and chains from. My 3 year old loved it last year and will likely be riding it again this year. At the time my oldest was 4 years old when we used the homemade balance bike and within a few months I would have felt comfortable with him on a regular bike with no training wheels. He unfortunately is not as confident as we were and waited another year. At just over 5 years old he decided to jump on his two wheel bike and went zipping around the driveway no problem. Hopefully our soon to be 4 year old will follow in her brother's footsteps this year too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my MIL bought my son one at about 41/2 against my wishes (I promptly returned it and bought books and toys) I felt it was too old.... I was working on getting his training wheels off his real bike and it felt like a total back track to me.

every kid is different though. they're rather spendy and how much time is he really gonna spend on it? I read an article calling it a glorified push toy once
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have an almost 5 year old and a 3 1/2 year old and they both do fine on their bikes with training wheels. In my opinion it is a waste of money, why buy them something that they won't need in a year or two rather then buy a regular bike with training wheels and take the wheels off when they are ready ?
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I'm interested to hear the answers on this...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 10:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011