Other teen moms, or previous teen moms

You know those stereotypes that people categorize us in? Have you ever met someone who is a teen mom and you just think to yourself, "you just prove everyone else right"?

For Instance

I know this one mom, who is a bit older than myself, she just lives the stereotypical teen mom lifestyle.  Smoking weed, out all night, living off the welfare system, not working, not in school, nada.  I just wish I could wake her up.  argh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was pregnant at 17 and had DD at 18. I worked hard to raise her the best I could. My neighbor on the other hand had her son at the same age and goes out 3-4 times a week and leaves her son with family. She is doing drugs, drinking, sleeping around (even though she lives with her boyfriend who is the father). She makes us all look bad. I didn't drink, do drugs, I hardly ever had a break from my kids.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• there are also non teen moms who life that lifestyle, sadly.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• yes, im sure they are out there too
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I'm not a teen mom but I was a teen when i got pregnant. half way through I turned 20. I am still stereotyped as a teen mom and judged the same way and I know exactly what youre talking about. I hate feeling embarassed that I'm a young single mother, because there are others out there who "make us look bad"
    It makes me think more about what I do, because I don't want to be that kind of mom, i just want to be a good mom
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Ya, I was going to say there are old moms who act like that too. In and out of jail, alcoholics. I know someone who had kids in her late 30's, was an amazing mom, then got divorced and turned into nothing but a giant party animal. Everything you described. Her kids are both severely obese now and out of control too. Sad sad sad.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I had my daughter a few days before I turned 19. Within a week, I was divorced, no child support. Within 3 months, my folks left the state (dad's job). I never got Welfare or blamed anyone for something I created. I worked, sometimes two jobs. I don't understand girls/women who think they don't have to do anything they don't want to do, including raise the children they bring into the world. I've known girls/women who leave their kids at the sitter for days because they "need a break". Bull S***. They need to grow up and accept responsibility.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i was a teen mom i had my daughter at 16 and i was stereotyped also but after i had her and her father was deported i proved them wrong raising her myself i moved to another state where i had no family and made my life it was hard but i did Finnish school (late) i have a high school diploma and i will be going to collage soon...... im not going to say i did not drink or do drugs i did but i didn't do it all the time and never while my dd is around i am 20 now and i have one child i think i did pretty good maybe not the best but the best i could just keep your head up as long as you know your doing all you can then who cares about what the rest think right?

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011