How do you prepare your turkey?

for example, you wash it, you take out the insides, you butter it, you stuff the stuffing inside of it, then you put it in a cooking bag and on a cooking tray then in the oven for 350 and 2 or 3 hours depending what size is the turkey. Am I correct?because its my second time making one, lol. I made it a year ago so I already forgot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Food & Drink

• we get ours from cracker Berrel
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Yeah, sounds like you are doing things right to me. Put check the temp every so often, I'm not sure about the cooking time.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:27 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• most professionals tell you to cook the stuffing outside of the turkey and put it in just before you serve it. I put an onion an apple and an orange peeled inside it to keep it moist. I put poultry season and paprika on top to make the skin brown and cook it at a llittle higher temperature with the cover off then lover the heat and put the cover on and finish cooking. when i was it i take all the giblets, and stuff out of both side and wash with cool water with salt. and rinse. Ovens temps change with each oven so it is hard to tell you what temp and for how long so you need to get that information off the package and use a meat themometer to make sure it is done.
    Theoneandonly

Answer by Theoneandonly at 3:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I know this sounds gross.... but my mom made this turkey a few years ago - instead of butter, she rubbed mayo under the skin on top of the meat and baked it! It was the best turkey I ever tasted, and I hate mayo! it keeps the meet moist much better than butter did. She stuffs the cavity with whole onions, celery tops, and a lemon cut into chunks (we do that for roast chicken at my house but we also add rosemary)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• The hours depends on the turkey and your oven. I just cooked a 17 pound turkey and it took 6 hours with foil on and then another hour or so to brown and crisp the skin without the foil. I have also had turkey with mayo under and on top of the skin and it was delicious. I put apples and onion in mine to help keep it moist. Good luck.
    priddymom

Answer by priddymom at 8:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• cook your turkey at 325 degrees - the higher temperature will cause the turkey to be tough and too dry
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I've never used this method before, but I heard it on the radio the other day and Gavin Degraw (sp?) swears by it. He says to take foil and put it on the ground (outside) and put a stake in the ground to set your turkey on. Then top it with a clean metal garbage can upside down. Then you put coals around the bottom of the can and on the top. You create your own barbecue. Light the coals up and stand back. He says it takes 6 1/2 minutes per pound and your turkey comes out just like it looks on tv every time. If anyone tries this method or knows of it- please let me know. Maybe we'll do it next year!
    lilkitti

Answer by lilkitti at 9:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• After cleaning the bird, I brine the turkey overnight. Just before I'm ready to roast the bird, I take it out of the brine & rinse in cold water, then season the bird by filling the cavity with a mix of a fresh apple (cored & sliced), a cinnamon stick, a few sprigs of fresh rosemary & sage, and a few allspice berries, then cover the breast w/foil and roast for about 15 - 20 min at 500 degrees, then uncover the bird and finish roasting at 350 for another hour and a half (13 lb bird). Sometimes I follow this with a glaze, other times we eat it as is.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2008