How do I break my son's habit of only drinking things that are warm/hot?

My son insist that everything from juice to water needs to be at least warm, but he likes it hot. I want to be able to just leave a sippy laying around for him so he'll drink more water, but again he won't drink it if it's not warm. I want to break him of it, but I think he doesn't get enough liquids as it is. I'm afraid the process of trying to break him of the habit will only make it worse. I'm completely lost on what to do about this. I can't be heating up his sippy constantly...

nerdyma7

Asked by nerdyma7 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Heat them for less and less time, until you can get him used to room temp. If he's thirsty enough, he'll drink room temp.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Does he have sensory issues ? Maybe cold is too much for him to handle or is he ok with ice cream etc.. ?

I like the pp's idea too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• hmmm...my daughter prefers everything cold. How old is he?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:50 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• How old is he? One year we had gone camping, my son who was about 1 1/2 at the time wouldn't eat anything cold, not even sandwich meats. (Thanks to me always making homemade food and it being served hot). He does now but he has got to be really hungry. We had to make a stop quite often to get him hot foods from the deli or something. My son likes warm milk at night. I think he will grow out of on his own. Having warm food or even liquids makes it more palatable. Usually 8 oz of juice is more than enough for a daily serving as well as having about 2 cups of milk which really isn't alot. As long as his urine is clear and not stinky, I would say he is drinking enough. That would be a good indicator of whether or not he is drinking enough liquids.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 8:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Leave a sippy of water out for him, he'll drink it if he is thirsty....don't heat it for him. If he needs to drink, he will. My middle daughter and my husband both like warm drinks...it's just a preference. He won't dehydrate because you didn't heat up his sippy, he'll drink when he's thristy. You're not being mean to just say no every once in awhile while you're trying to get him to drink "cooler" things.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would check his teeth. He might have a cavity and that will make cold drinks and food hurt to eat. Just a thought because I have really bad teeth and warm just feels better. In fact, cold is quite painful.

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• if hes like me his teeth may be sensitve and cold might really hurt
    Mommyholly327

Answer by Mommyholly327 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2008