What are the best diced fruit and veg to serve and 9 mo. old?

My LO is turning 9 mo. next week and we have only done a few "whole" foods like bananas, peas, carrots, Puffs, sweet pot, and mashed pot. I would like to try some more diced foods and am wondering what would be the easiest ones for her to manage.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I found that pears are very soft if you buy them canned. oh dang I can't remember the name of these things but they kind of look like pacifiers but the end is a mesh bag and you put fruit in it and snap it closed so your baby can chew the mesh part and get the fruit mashed up and not choke.
    however it sounds like you want them to get used to the table food part so that might not be helpful.... lol idk hope some of this was helpful :P
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Apples, carrots, root vegetables in general, peas, soft beans, squash, bananas, etc. My brain isn't thinking too well. Avocado was one of my daughters favorite foods and it's considered a super veggie. Man she loved it. It's super easy to cube up, but it can get a little messy.

Try to avoid anything with a high acid content, like oranges, strawberries, etc.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you buy anything canned, do watch out. Most of it is smothered in syrup or sugars, though I think it's Dole brand that has FINALLY started making packaged fruits in it's own juices. Might want to read the package to be sure. I wish they had that stuff when my DD was old enough to eat it, but they didn't =/. So we totally skipped over that and now we're just using whole fresh fruit.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• How about mango? Ripe ones are pretty soft. I used to put them in a fresh fruit feeder for my dd and she loooved them. There's always peaches too, avocado is a great baby food.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Would you serve the diced apples raw? Seems a little hard, idk.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I shredded apple for my son. He LOVED it. . He also likes diced fresh cantaloupe.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Mine turns 9 mo next week also, but I haven't given her anything diced cause she doesn't have any teeth yet.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Mine is cutting tooth # 6 right now and does pretty good chewing.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you are worried about raw apples (I would be too) you can steam them or boil so they get nice and soft and them dice them or mash them up. You would have to peel them first, and it would be a little extra work but it can be done. Steaming fruits and veggies keeps more of the nutrients in them though just fyi.
    Anonymous

• Whether or not they have teeth they can eat real food. You use your molars to chew, not the front teeth that babies get first! By 9 months my babies were eating everything I did with a few exceptions (I steamed hard veggies and fruits like apples, carrots, etc. before feeding but we never used purees)

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2011