Does Santa visit more than once or on days other than Xmas?

I have to ask if anyone else does this. In the past Santa has come to several homes for SS and on different days. DH and I always thought it was dumb but we played along for SS's sake. Last year DH and I felt he was getting too old to play up the silliness of it all, so since his BM had him for the first week of winter break we didn't give him any gifts from Santa at our house (he only got gifts from us). This year it is flipped, and we won't be putting Santa on any gifts or feeding into any Santa fantasy, so his mom is going to have Santa stop at her house the weekend before so she can have one more year of playing it up for him. The kid will be ten years old come Xmas time! We think it is plain ridiculous at this point and getting a bit far fetched.

Anyone else have Santa come to multiple homes on different days for their kids? Anyone else think this is flippin' ridiculous?

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 1:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Holidays

• That's stupid...... the whole point is that "Santa" comes ONCE a year.....
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I can understand Santa stopping at more than one house on Christmas. I know a couple of people whose grandparents have one or two Santa presents at their house too... My grandparents did that (not every year, but sometimes!) We were told "Santa forgot these, so he dropped them off here!" I even have had a present delivered a couple of weeks after Christmas (I was told that Mrs Claus found it while cleaning out the workshop! I was 8 or so.) even though it was just because of Shipping Issues. Maybe AFTER Christmas, but not before... so it appears that Santa dropped them off ON Christmas Eve, but they were unopened until the later date...
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 1:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I get that Santa can drop presents off at a granparent's home or the other parent's home on Xmas day and the child opens them after the fact. But Santa coming before...We think it is lame and that she is doing it for herself at this point not her son.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I dont think it's your place to decide it's "silly" if you want to have no gifts from santa at your house but I wouldnt ruin the magic for him, thats just not fair
    AJmum

Answer by AJmum at 8:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• For the love of GOD he is a KID. Let him be a KID. Why is everyone in such a rush to make kids grow up. I "figured it out" at 9 yrs old and my mom said hat if I stopped believing then the magic went away and the gifts get WAY smaller. It wasn't a threat and it preserved the magic of the holiday for me still. Christmas is my favorite holiday! I am with AJ. Not your place. And I would say the same thing if the situation was reversed...AND if you are the one who tells him that is what he will always remember.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I agree 100% with the above poster. My 3rd grade teacher spilled the beans on Santa and Xmas was never fun again for me and I am still a little bitter about it. Let him be a kid and enjoy Santa and the holidays while he still can. He will be all grown up soon enough.
    Anonymous

• While it does seem silly, that is his BM and she can do whatever she would like. But why would you want to dash a little kids thoughts on Christmas? That seems harsh and maybe you need to play along a little bit. It doesn't hurt you guys at all, so i don't see the harm in it. You may hurt him though. Let him be a kid....I belived till I was 12. When did innocence of a child have an age limit?
    nazratred

Answer by nazratred at 1:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Oh let him have his Santa! You are being the grinch that stole Christmas. Good grief.
    Anonymous

• If he still believe in Santa, then I would at least get him one gift from Santa, or else he might think he was bad at your house and not at his mom's. It will make her look like the good guy.

My husband used to say we need to give my son the biggest gift from us, I told him why do we need to get the credit. When he is old enough he will know that all the presents came from us.

Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 6:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Santa knows that at our house we don't always celebrate on Christmas, because sometimes Mommy has to work on Christmas. So I send him a letter letting him know when I'm working and he comes on the right day for me to be there "Christmas" morning.

I think that what his birth mom is doing is really sweet, and you should loosen up. The child will stop believing in magic soon enough, let him enjoy it while he still does (and honestly, he probably doesn't really believe in Santa any more but truly enjoys just a little bit of magic this time of year).
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 12:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2008