What are some reasons for a cat to throw up a LOT?

My parents have a cat that stays inside, uses a litter box, is fed regularly and pretty much only given dry cat food (no people-food or canned food), yet this kitty throws up more than any other cat I've known. Lately I'm staying with them for weeks at a time, as mom has cancer, and I've noticed that the vomit has a lot more fluid in it. There are usually pieces of undigested cat food that come out first, but they are followed by what seems to me, to be a LOT of liquid. I'm almost worried that the cat will get dehydrated! I'd like to know what's causing it, as it's one more thing that my mom doesn't need to worry about, and certainly doesn't need to be cleaning up after.

jburg2541

Asked by jburg2541 at 1:35 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Pets

• Grooming causes kitties to throw up a lot. Also digestive problems. They have special formula foods for cats with sensitive stomachs or even cats that are more prone to throw up because of grooming themselves. (I used to work at PetSmart) If you go to your local pet store they should be able to help you pick out a cat food that will help. There are a LOT of remedies you can use. Just tell the associate the symptoms and they should be able to suggest something.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• OK I am not a cat person, but I did adopt a dog that threw up a lot, espeically piles of undigested dog food. Well then my cousin ( who works wtih animals) told me that most dog food has like corn or something as the main ingredient and most dogs can not digest it. She told me to look for one that has meat first. I buy dry dog food. So I think it's the Iams healthy natural...it's new. A light brown bag, somethng about being healthy and it had meat as the first ingredient instead of corn. I can't quite remember. Now I just buy the food so I don't read the bag anymore, but my dog has never thrown up since !!!!

Maybe check out the food they feed the cat. Also I thought I heard UTI"s in cats cause vomitting ?

Hope that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Agree's with the first poster. My grandmother had like 17 cats at one time. Grooming themselves can cause them to throw up as the hair gets caught in they're throat. My grandmother introduced a jar of vasaline to them and let one opened at all times. The cats would actually lick it. It would coat they're throats and she didn't have any more problems with hairballs getting caught.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 2:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Hairballs can cause it. They have treats and food for that. They also have drops that help them get rid of the hair.

Sensitive stomachs. Try switching his food. My one kitty is on a raw diet because she has a sensitive stomach.

It might be good to call a vet and see what they say. I had a cat who was vomiting a lot and not urinating. His urine was crystallizing in his uretha and backing into his bladder.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have a longer haired cat who throws up when he has a hairball caught. the vet recommended I use laxatone. Its tuna flavored and i had to give it to his once every other day until the vomiting subsided then like one or twice a week. My kitty love it and they dont puke on my floors anymore
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Hairballs can definitely do it, but does the cat control himself when he eats or does he just hork it down? My fat @$$ cat thinks he's starving if there isn't food in his bowl every minute of the day...even if its only been empty an hour or so, he will eat it like its the last time he'll see food and then puke it up. My SO's cat (Lives with my MIL) does the same thing. He has to give her a little tiny bit of food at a time so she doesn't make herself sick. I will mention that my cat is so fat and lazy that a mouse broke its foot in a trap the other day and my cat didn't even care that there was a mouse limping around. The cat was laying by his food bowl when I came out of the bedroom and came up to greet me to get him some food. Want a cat?! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Sensitive stomach, just try another brand cat food and see if it works better for him. My cat cannot eat the Wal-Mart brand foods that are supposed to be the equivalents of Purina One without throwing up every time, but he can eat Purina One just fine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2008