How can I get my daughter to stay in her bouncing chair without crying?

I have a six-weeks old daughter and all she wants is for me to hold her. I try to put her in the chair but she starts crying after a minute or two...it is becoming really difficult since I can not do anything. Any advice? maybe there is a better rocking/bouncing chair I can buy?

RoniZoe

Asked by RoniZoe at 10:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my daughter, you can try swaddling her first before you put her down, a soothing sound like water running, sometimes even the sound of the vacuum works.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I ended up wearing my baby. I bought a Moby wrap. It left me hands free and still gave her the closeness to me that she needed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• well honestly you have to let her cry and just check on her every fifteen mins if not she will expect you to hold her twenty four hours lol i with through this with my dd

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Oh my goodness, just hold her! All she knows is your warmth means safety and comfort. Put her down to go to the bathroom, shower, cook or whatever but I promise you these days will pass and she will not be spoiled. Babies need to be held. I know it seems as though you will never get anything done but you will for sure not get these days back. Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thanks! I have a moby wrap, but she only likes to be in it when I am outdoors walking. I would like her to be able to just relax for a little bit and stay in the chair...it is not possible to carry her all the time and she likes to stay up! she does not sleep a lot.
    RoniZoe

Comment by RoniZoe (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you need to be hands free get a sling or a wrap. This saved my sanity as well as my SO's. It made it easy for him to work at home while I was at work when our LO was a newborn.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• you can't..

get a carrier or wrap. (love our sleepywrap)
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 10:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thanks! it is so difficult sometimes and I just need a break...and I am afraid she has gotten used to being held and it will always be this way. I know it is important to hold her and comfort her. I am breastfeeding, so I hold her a lot...she stays up for hours at a time and I cannot get anything done, not even eat. what has your experience been like?
    RoniZoe

Comment by RoniZoe (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• They don't start getting used to being held until around 8 months or so. You will know when they do it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think it can often be unrealistic as a Mother to be expected to hold a child constantly, so please do not feel ostracized by others for needing a break.....I think if people are honest with themselves we all needed it esp with a new born!

If she doesnt like the bouncer or to be in a wrap inside try other things like if you have a boppy pillow or any pillow lean her against it sometimes they dont need the motion and just want to be still, or use a pack and play type thing lay her down in it with something to look up at like a mobile etc.....its trial and error, each baby is different, but if you keep trying you are sure to find something she will like. Good Luck! Do you have a swing? Many babies rather swings than bouncers......
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2011