Let her sleep?

My 5 week old is a sleeper! I should be happy about that, I guess, but I worry a bit about the feedings. She has gotten to the point where she will go more that 5 hours between some feedings (not all though...some are around 4 hours). I have to admit that I don't know exactly how long she will go because I wake her up after 5 hours to feed her. Should I let her sleep then feed her when she lets me know that she is hungry, or should I continue to wake her up? At night she will take around 2 to 2.5 oz and during the day she will take between 3 and 4 oz. She has around 6-10 wet diapers each day. I haven't weighed her. She just started this a few days ago. Should I be waking her up or counting my lucky stars? ;)

cristie1276

Asked by cristie1276 at 1:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let sleeping baby's lie...........and be thankful. She'll wake up when she's hungry and may want to eat a little more than normal, but that's ok too. As long as she keeps wetting, and gaining weight then it's ok.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• shes a newborn, shell eat when shes hungry and sleep when shes tired let her be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Wake her during the day for feedings and let her sleep at night. It will help build her schedule
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Let her sleep when she will. because now that you've published the schedule, she's going to change it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• if she's back to her birth weight, she can sleep through the night... otherwise wake her every 2-3 hours if she's bf*ed and 3-4 if she's ff*ed
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 2:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I know nothing of this...both of mine would be up every 2 hours for breastfeeding :/
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I spoke to my sons doctor about this because he was a sleeper too the first few weeks...She did say to let him sleep and he will let me know when he was hungry so I went along and he evenutally stopped sleepin so much just a week or so later but if it goes to long you may have some problems in the future. My fiances family member acutally let this continue way to long even though the doctor said it was perfectly normal...IMP she shouldnt have listened to the doctor...her son is far behind due to sleeping constantly...both babies (ours and hers) are 2 weeks apart my son being the younger one...well my son had been crawling,walking,talking everything way before hers....
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 3:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• CONT....
    now i know all babies are diffrent and cannot be put on the same charts? i guess you could call it??? but once my fiance's family member switched doctors they told her that him sleeping so much WAS the cause of him being so far behind...hes now 18months i believe and is just starting to walk...just as an example my sons been walkin since 8 months...hope this helps
    justinsmommie09

• they say the less a baby sleeps the more likely they are to be overweight.....your baby know what they need and dont let anyone else(well listen to your doctor) tell you what to do. if your baby is healthy then there isnt anything to worry about!!!!
    edwinsmom2008

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 5:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have never woken a sleeping baby to feed. I believe - especially at night - if they are sleeping, let them continue to do so. My oldest slept through the night at 5 weeks on and my second slept through the night about 12 weeks on. It was great. I talk to moms all the time who have 12, 18 & 24 month old who still wake up EVERY night.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 12:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2008