Has anyone experienced a child (1 month old) with RSV and had to go to the NICU?

Cori21711

Asked by Cori21711 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Not in the NICU....but my son had RSV and Pnemonia at 6wks. It was a week and a half before we got him back home with us. He's always had lung problems since then. It's hard to see your child like that. Best wishes to you xo
    Anonymous

• My son had RSV at 6 months old. He was in the NICU for two weeks then moved to a regular room for 1 week before I could take him home. It is very scarey to have your baby on all those machines and feel so helpless while he looks so tiny and fragile. I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.
    cottoncandy1

Answer by cottoncandy1 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter was exactly 1 month old when she contracted RSV. We were admitted into our local hospital and was told it was just something viral. But on day number 4 she was still not able to hold any fluids down, and started vomiting up piles of bile. Then we had gotten a second opinion. Once the other doctor left, she went into have a grand mal seizure (which later on we found out she's epileptic). Anyhow they sent us out to a Children's Hospital 3 hours away and was placed into a NICU for almost 2 weeks. Very scary stuff..
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wow! We just got out of the Hospital in Denver. He was on a vent for 1 week. I took him to the dr after his first cough. They sent me home after the RSV was negative. They did a nose swab. He was fussy all night so I took him early the next morning. He was admitted to the hospital. 30 min later he quit breathing, they coded him and we were care flighted to Denver. I have been a complete wreck since I saw the whole thing go down. He is doing amazing. He is on oxygen still at home but doing good. So the RSV ended up being positive. Turns out when doing a nose swab, you really need to get the mucous if you can. If you can't suction it out and swab that. It could have cost my son's life. Pass it on to mom's! Please!
    Cori21711

Comment by Cori21711 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011