Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How to address apartment issues with Landlord?

I'm worried about the state of my apartment. I fear that I might have black mold in my bathroom. I have noticed black musty smelling reside in the cracks of the bathtub. My bathroom fan doesn't work. My bathroom sink and kitchen sink doesn't drain at all. I have told about these problems before ( the non draining sink) and it took them like a month to fix it. They haven't been fixed another bathroom problem I had a while ago. They just told me not to get the area wet when showering, etc. Well I need to shower and they should of fixed this problem a long time ago. It's been over a month now.

What I'm to do?

Answer Question

Asked by ChildGoddess at 10:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Health

Level 9 (311 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • kinda in the same situation just different problems.. im at the point where they dont fix it they dont get money.. and im going to tell my landlord that when i see him..

    Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • tomorrow morning make a few phone calls to the state/county and also a few plumbers (phone book.... grab anyone with free estimates offered) if it is in fact black mold they'll likely shut the place down until your landlord fixes it. and in the meantime the red cross and/or landlord will probably find you a hotel

    Answer by hibbingmom at 10:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Look up your state's laws regarding rental property. When I rented in Massachusetts if a landlord was not addressing issues that could be detrimental to a person's health or broke codes like what you are describing, you could refuse to pay rent until it is fixed - however the rent money must be put into a specific "escrow" account at a bank and the landlord must be informed in writing. You could also let them know that you intend to call the health department for an inspection.

    Still, before you do any of that - do your legal research! Because laws vary state to state, I don't want you to take my advice as it may not be accurate for your location.

    Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Google "tenant rights ___fill in your state___"

    Sometimes you can have a repair person come in and then the bill sent to your landlord, sometimes you are allowed to withhold rent and use it to pay for repairs, sometimes you have to send a certified letter or form to your landlord concerning your problems. It really depends on your state.

    If you live near a law school or larger college, they usually have some sort of walk-in/pro bono clinic that deals with landlord/tenant issues.

    Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • I'm a licensed property manager in the state of MT. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! In writing to the manager/owner etc. Keep copies for yourself. Take pictures of what is going on. Call your local Health Department immediately!!! You must have everything DOCUMENTED before you refuse to pay rent or they can come after you for the unpaid rent.

    Answer by AshellG27 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Purchase a mold kit and keep everything in writing keeps pictures as well. Once the mold kit is completed the results will determine what extent you should take possibly moving out and contacting the health department. Its ridiculous how they tell you not to get the shower area wet if you should try to wipe it dry and use bleach to clean the area with as well.

    Answer by Mudda69 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.