I NEED HELP MY SON IS 8 OUT CONTROL AND WILL NOT LISTEN TO ME HE ALSO HURTs HIMSELF

atti03

Asked by atti03 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hurting himself is an enormous red flag, I'd be on the phone 1st thing tomorrow morning finding a crisis center to evaluate, test, treat, stabilize him
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree Sweetie, you need intervention. I am sure your family doctor help you get started.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Can you provide more details? What have you tried? In what way does he not listen? It doesn't seem totally normal for that age to hurt himself.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree, he needs to be evaluated.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• As a responsible parent the only choice is to have him evaluated! He has something hat is bothering him, and you need to resolve it bfore it becomes a serious issue! GL!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son is 8 . He is on meds for ADHD &depression. He has been diagnosed with ODD as well. I have him in therapy but his behavior is getting worse. I try to be patient but often find myself walking on eggshells for him. He continues getting in troubl@ school. He will be evaluated by school psych to determine if he needs special ed under emotional distress. That process will take 2months. In the meantime my 12 yr old feels like she's getting the shaft. I also have a 3yr old daughter w/ autism who requires lots of attention. I don't know what else to do right now. I feel like there's not enough of me to go around.
    atti03

Comment by atti03 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• No advice here,but hope things get better for your family:)
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Sometimes they have been misdiagnosed and are being given meds that aren't helping. Other times they can be the right meds, just the wrong dosage. I was on Paxil, and it made me feel one emotion all day long. I was either zombieafied, or super hyper, or really emotional, etc. So I took myself off of it. Had I known then that the dosage may have been off, and the meds could've actually helped, I prob. wouldn't have gone off of them. I would call your doc. tomorrow and make an appointment. Tell him what is going on, and ask what to do. If he isn't willing to help, go to another doc. I truly wish you nothing but the best!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 4:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011