I will never ever ever understand insurance...

I got extremely frustrated with the medicad process while I was pregnant and lost my insurance at work, I got denied for less than 200$. I figured then that there was something wrong. But this week I am just floored. I have a client who is mild MR, she is working a min. wage job and is married. Her husbadn cannot work because he as a pacemaker, but instead of being on his heart it's down on his side (something was wrong with the shape of his heart and they couldn't put it on his heart), and no one will hire him because he's a huge liability with his pacemaker there. She told me last week that he keeps getting denied disability! (He is also MR) and they are getting denied medicad because they have a savings acct and they ahve a retirement acct. I was just floored. Two MMR adults, one with a freaking pacemaker, only one of them working a min. wage job, and they don't qualify for medicad?? I don't care what anyone says, something is serisouly messed up with insurance companies and something needs to be done NOW.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• He can contact a lawyer. My mother is on disability but they almost always deny the first couple times no matter what. It took a year and lawyers for my mother to be on disability.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• In most states they want you to really have nothing before they help with disability, or any other PA.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Savings accounts with over 3K i believe is the amount will get you denied for all kinds of assistance! They have a strict limit on the amount of assets you are to have, now the situation you stated, I would get a lawyer and fight for disability more so than Medicaid!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Write to your congressional representatives, and demand single payer universal health care. It works in San Francisco, and we should all have that option!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2011