Money Saving Tip for Smokers

So I do not smoke, but DH does and he was spending about $40 a week on a carton of cigs in KY. Somewhere around $30+ was the cheapest we could find and I know in other states its higher. Now that we've moved to Ohio its certainly more. In Ky we got the idea to make our own cigs though. If you go to a smoke store they have tubes, and loose tobacco you can buy and a hand machine to fill the tubes. If your in KY its cheaper to be the tobacco. But in Ohio its a bit more because we can't find a retail store that sells tobacco by the pound. Still we save $ on cigs. So if you absolutely can't quit look into making your own! And in if your in Ohio and know where to get loose tobacco (not pipe tobacco) by the pound please let me know.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 10:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Good luck finding it. I know it can be a PITA to find it. I've rolled my own some, but I can't find the really good stuff that our tobacco outlet used to sell. It is WAY cheaper that way and if I ever find that kind again, and I'm still smoking regular cigarettes, I'll definitely switch back. Have you tried ordering it online?
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I can't find anywhere to order it. Do you have links to suppliers?
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I figure it might be illegal for them to sell online because of age restrictions and no way to check who is buying.
    SalemWitchChild

• You can order cigarettes online. I'm not sure how they verify age. Let me do some checking.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Here's a link to a site to buy loose tobacco. And this is the only link I've been able to find so far that discusses age verification. I think it's verified by credit card and ID number, but I'm not sure. Sure, a minor could steal those, but their parents would probably find out about it pretty quickly. It's a lot easier for them to just get someone over 18 to buy them.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That first link says Iowa customers only on the tube tobacco.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• here in south Florida they have a tobacco shop that u put in a machine and it rolls it for u. we pay 22 doll a week for a carton... maybe they have something there. it saves money.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yeah the smoke shop has the big machine but it costs $ to use plus your tobacco/tubes. We have the hand machine at home and I do it for hubby because he stuffs it too much. I'm much better at making them and don't mind so I fill the tubes. Its just buying the materials. Right now 200cigs is costing about $18 dollars. Which is really good compared to that $40 per carton crap. But if I can find more tobacco for around the same $ that would make me happy.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i live in Indianapolis Indiana. and i found a place here called Smoke Station. i can get a whole carton of cigarettes for $24.50. they use a machine to roll the cigarettes for you but it is a lot cheaper that was... cause i can buy two cartons for the price of one... which is pretty sweet to me....
    tyner_brylee

Answer by tyner_brylee at 12:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• know a great way to save money on cigarettes, quit.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 4:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011