Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She won't give it back and she's ignoring all requests!

I played the clarinet in high school. My mother purchased me my instrument so I would not have to rent one. My husband's daughter decided to play the clarinet as well. I offered her the use of my instrument to save on rental cost. She really wanted to play, but her mother balked at the idea of paying to rent one.

Well, it appears that bio mom was successful in brain washing her daughter against he father and she no longer comes over for visitation. We have heard from the younger children that do still come for visits that she no longer plays the clarinet. My husband sent an email to his ex asking for her to return it. She has not returned the email. He has texted her on this matter as well. She has been refusing to speak with him on the phone and has been only sending him emails or texts.

I want to stop by her house and ask her for it, but I swear this woman is crazy and I am afraid she will call the police and try to get me charged with harassment. I have heard the crap she has tried to pull on her current husband's ex wife.

I really would like my clarinet back, but I don't know if I want to take her to court for it. It seems a bit ridiculous.

Any one have any ideas? Can she charge me for harassment for showing up at her house one time and asking for it?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • No she cannot. It takes more than one contact by you to consider it harassment. If she asks you to leave though do not cause a scene. If she refuses the only other option is small claims court.

    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • I would at least contact your local police station and explain what's going on and get their recommendation. Maybe something as simple as having a cop meet you at her residence just in case she does something stupid. you may have to prove the instrument is yours though, like some kind of unique marking or a sticky 5th key or soemthing like that.


    Answer by Rosehawk at 10:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Go over with a police escort. Problem solved. The police are there to witness the interaction and knows what goes down. You just call or go to her local police department.

    Answer by kc932 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • if u really want it call the police to deal with it./

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Perhaps you could consider the original instrument a gift to the first child and get the other child a new one. They will never see that coming.

    Answer by ochsamom at 10:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Calling the police seems extreme. I kind of feel bad for this woman. She seems to have mental health issues. In addition, she and my ex have three children together. While the older one (who is 14) now refuses to have anything to do with my hubby, the 10 year old and 8 year old still come for visits. I do not want to do anything that would jeopardize that.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Tell the CHILD when she gets in the car to come visit ... to go back in the house and get the recorder... that you only allowed her the use of it and now she is not playing it you want it. It is very special to you. And why in the world is it such a big deal on the crazy womans part anyways to get it back to you??? Call the police dept and ask what u can do to get it back.. can they assist you if the daughter doesn't bring it with her???

    Answer by kkbird at 10:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Well its either you want it or you don't. If you think a visit to her home will cause issues then consider it gone.

    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • Only the two younger boys come to visit. The daughter has been refusing to visit.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

  • ask the other kids to bring it. it is yours. you shouldn't have to ask permission to have your stuff retrieved.

    Answer by nonni2 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2011