Kids with tubes..question

My son is 4 and on his second set of tubes. He has had them now almost one year. He's been poking at his ear and saying it hurts....and it's draining. (It looks like a bunch of wax) I thought if they had tubes, draining is a good thing. We've never had this before and he's basically had tubes since he has been 10 months old. So I'm wondering if the tubes are doing their job or if he has an ear infection.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 10:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• u should read this
    No More Amoxicillin: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections Without Antibiotics by Mary Ann Ann Block
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Just because they have tubes doesn't mean they can't get an ear infection. It just means that it drains better and you can usually tell it's an ear infection quicker because of the drainage. My DS had tubes and he got a couple ear infections, but we knew right away because they drained yellow/brown waxy gunk.

Sounds like it could be an infection, but I'd check with the doc.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my daughter had tubes and had the drainage. Took her in and they said it was definately and ear infection. I would take him in...it could also be a ruptured ear drum.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2011