Ear infection or normal with tubes?

My son is 4 and on his second set of tubes. He has had them now almost one year. He's been poking at his ear and saying it hurts....and it's draining. (It looks like a bunch of wax) I thought if they had tubes, draining is a good thing. We've never had this before and he's basically had tubes since he has been 10 months old. So I'm wondering if the tubes are doing their job or if he has an ear infection.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 10:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds as if he may have an infection. If it is draining then yes it is doing it's job, but he needs to be seen on the morning by his pedi or ENT so that he can get some antibiotics.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Could be an ear infection, we went through this w/our 6 yo DS, and it frustrated me to no end I thought that's what the tubes were supposed to prevent, right? Can you give him tylenol to help with his pain? GL I hope your little guy feels better
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011