Five year old having trouble getting along with friends.

My son is five and half years old. We have friends over to play with my son and the whole time he has trouble taking turns, sharing and sometimes hits and crys and whines. I am terrified that he is going to have no friends and will be labeled a crybaby.

I have tried asking him to put away any toy he does not want to share. I have reminded him that it is important to take turns and share with friends but the whining fighting and crying continue. He is also very bossy and wants people to play HIS way and if they don't he crys or pouts.

Please help.

Sluggersmom

Asked by Sluggersmom at 10:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he an only child? He is old enough to know better so practicing is key. If he can't be nice and share explain other kids aren't going to want to play. Playing is only fun when you take turns and share. When he starts the whining, quietly take him away from the scene and explain this and let him sit a minute in his room.
    Anonymous

• It will get better when he is socialized more. It is hard to share in your own home. It will get better when he is in school.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That's a tough one. When i got with my SO who has a son about my daughters age we had A LOT of those problems because the kids did not want to share. In our house any toy that gets fought over they loose for the day. If one of them isn't playing nice they have to go upstairs and they dont get to play for awhile until they are ready to play nice. Before I give them the clear to come back downstairs we have a chat about how to play. I guess it's easier to do this because they are siblings but maybe you need to tell your son that when he doesn't play nice he doesnt get to play at all.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It will get better in time.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I had this problem with my daughter. She's 6. I just had to keep talking to her about it.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Sounds like he's not ready.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011