Dialing 911....

If a person doesn't have a home line set up at their residence, but wanted to make an emergency call to 911 with a house phone, would it be possible?

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 10:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes you can call 911 from a home phone that's not on a plan, but dispatchers cannot call you back if the call is disconnected. Another thing you can do it call the dispatch center and give then your cell phone number and address so they an tie the two together in their system. I'm a 911 dispatcher and hubby's a cop, so I know this is true---at least in Michigan, but I'd imagine it's true in other states also.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Actually, I think that if there is a phone jack set up (as in someone had service there at some point in time) you can use a land line phone to call 911 even if you don't have phone service. I know that a cell phone can be used to call 911 even if you don't have active service.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• no, but a cell phone that is not activated would still dial 911
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• yes... If u plug it in, at least here in florida a cop said u can call 911.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Here in MA we can call 911 if there is a phone jack but no service.... We did test it once when we were moving in and our phone wasn't turned on yet and we could smell gas in the house... it worked ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• sure can
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• As long as there is a jack you should be able to call 911.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i don't believe so.......... there would need to be some sort of service set up, to even have a dial tone
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Mom-2-3-Girlz, that is what I thought but I'm not willing to test it out. Maybe I'll just call the non-emergency line and ask just to be sure. I am wanting to have this accessible for my small children to be able to call in case of an emergency and I don't want them struggling with a cell phone - or even worse, trying to locate it. That's for your input y'all!!

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011