Why are so many people suggesting the "end" will come in 2012? I've heard this from an array of people from christians to scientic believers...

I am a christian and believe the day of the lord will be unknown and nothing anyone has thought of . The lord describe his coming as a "women going into labor" which know one knows. People have said the end is coming for so long but i'm confused why people are conviced 2012?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Christian and don't know why ppl keep thinking it's 2012.. something about the end of the Mayan calendar.. However, 1) God doesn't go by the Mayan calendar 2) no one but God knows the day or hour when Jesus will return
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• i think alot of people have a hard time with the whold "not knowing" thing. people that say they can predict or prophesy when this will happen have been decieved by the enemy and are spreading lies that will do nothing but throw off other believers. i dont know why they say 2012. i dont even pay attention to something like that, since i know its a lie.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 2:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• amen bonn777
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• it's not the end, it's just when the Mayan calendar ends.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 3:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• The December 21st 2012 date comes from the end of the Mayan calendar. Although technically our calendar 'ends' every year too and then recycles to the beginning, so I think that the importance of this fact may be a tad overplayed!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It's a scare tactic. There are a lot of nuts and conspiracy theorists on the internet. Remember how overplayed and overhyped Y2K was? I mean, there were MILLIONS that SERIOUSLY thought it was going to happen. One of the news channels did an interview with a guy who built a bunker and sealed himself up inside it on December 31, 1999 and then reimerged on January 1, 2000. They asked him what he thought about still being alive, seeing as Y2K didn't really happen. He was like "Well...at least I was prepared, right?"

So PLEASE don't put too much thought into it. Take it from me, if you dwell on it too much, it'll take over your life. It's plagued me for years, and I'm just now learning how to get the hell over it. I've done a lot of research...and people are just trying to create general fear and panic. A lot of people are going to get scammed out of their money in four years.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I don't think the world is going to come to an end.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have no idea, but hollywood has signed off on the idea.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190080/

No, I'm not an xtian, but seriously this hype is just another Y2K.

OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 9:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• The "end of the world" has come and gone many, many times in our history. It's not only the Mayans that thought our world (as we know it) would end at that date. There are a few others that had similar dates. But I certainly have any thought that our world will end, but I think we will reach a new phase in our evolution.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• i don't belive it will be 2012 when Jesus will return i think that alot of ppl in history say that he will return a certain time date or hour don't belive everything u hear and only half of what you see...lol i think he will come back when the world is evil all over whitch in my opion it is been starting sence the dawn of time i don't think we will be here to see his return i will be long gone but i have to serve him while i'm here because when i see him in peson for the first time i want him to say well done thy good an faithful servent.i want to see him and kiss his feet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2008