Have any of you ever lived in the woods or somewhere really really quiet?

I mean like totally without sound, no power---fridge or furnace kicking on ect? I wonder what it would be like. I wonder if I would still feel so stressed. (Sound is my trigger.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• me personally-not in a place w/o power. but i live miles out in the country. i have known different guys who were cowboys on ranches. they lived in the very remote areas of like new mexico. maybe 70 miles from the closest human. they took care of the cattle in that remote area. one of them, walter, had no running water or electricity. he became a horrible alcoholic and drank too much one night. he went into a coma and no one knew it. he almost died, but thank God another cowboy rode in (you had to take a horse up to the house, a vehicle wouldnt make it-the ranch didnt have 4wheelers then) and found him. walter was air lifted to the hospital, no one knew how long he had been out. being isolated made him CRAZY!
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• another cowboy, bubba, lived like this but was married. people used to say to him, "i heard you didnt have running water at your house." he would reply, "yes i do. i tell jill we need more water and she "runs" out to go find some." they werent married very long......
    ivelostmyself

• hmm.. no i've never lived without the essentials. but i live about 11/2 from the nearest town. we have one stater brothers here. i'm in the middle of nowhere!!!! i love!! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• We live about half a mile off the main road...it's incredibly quiet out here, it's unnerving. My mom loves it and thinks it's peaceful, but I keep having nightmares about horrible serial killers coming to murder me in the night O.O
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would love to live far away. However, I need electricity and heat and a/c. I can live without TV and radio, but would need internet and my laptop. Not that I am on them all day, but.... I write and I need that outlet.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 11:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I live in a fairly rural area & have truly appreciated the country living however, it is not to say that it can get somewhat quiet @ times especially for children I don't think it is necessarily the best thing for an only child though. It can get pretty lonesome I would imagine. I believe children should be able to interact other kids. A certain song comes to mind by Barbra Streisand... People, people who need people... I think in order to raise well-rounded kids they need to be exposed to the mainsteam as much as possible. I believe environment along with their morals & values help shape their foundation. And a happy child is a productive child. Back to the question though... CONT~
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• While I've loved living the country life there comes a time as you get older that you need to be closer to civilization. I definately could not live w/o the bare essentials though. I agree w/ most of the ladies here I do need my laptop, therfore amish life is definately not for me. So now I am @ the point that I am singing the part in the song of "Beverly Hill Billies Green Acres song" for those of u old enough to know... da da da da da ...darling I love you but give me fifth ave. LOL Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll!
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think that would drive me nuts. I've lived in big cities, small towns and stayed with family out in the country and I felt most at home in the small town. It was mostly quiet at night but with the occasional car going buy (I lived a few blocks from the business highway through town). Out in the country I can't stand the silence. It's unnerving. I grew up listening to constant traffic and airplanes and sirens and trains. That lulls me to sleep. The absence of those noises is unsettling (like after 9/11 when all air traffic stopped--it was very eerie and hard to deal with the missing noise).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• PPS... I was the one who wanted the rural style living so yeah... it 's lovely but it's time to say goodbye. Been there, done that. On to the next chapter in my life. New beginnings, though someday I'd love to live near the ocean. What's that saying... "If you are lucky enough to live by the beach you are lucky enough", but that's a whole other topic.
    This is my mantra, life is a journey not a destination.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I live on a ranch, and normally it is really quiet here. Last year we had a big snow storm and lost power for 3 days. I woke up one night and the silence was almost spooky. The snow dampened all the sounds, and the loudest sound I could hear was my heartbeat. There was absolutely no other sound.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2008