Should we finally get serious about boycotting Nestle?

http://boycottnestle.blogspot.com/

I used to boycott them years ago -- when they refused to add ONE LINE to formula in an African country that told moms to use clean water to make the formula. Babies died of diarrhea because moms didn't know to use clean water. I thought how awful, Nestle does all these ads and they couldn't put a SENTENCE on the formula cans? So I stopped using ALL of their products. That was 10 years ago or so. Is it time for us to use our voice? STOP KILLING BABIES

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Nestle is at fault. Yes, it is true that clean drinking water is common sense. But what they did that was horrid, that is equated with the MURDER of thousands of infants, was tell African moms that canned formula was better than breast milk. They gave away millions of free cans for years to make formula feeding the norm. Then they said if you stop breast feeding you will stop the spread of AIDS. They didn't provide the information that if you don't have the virus then you have nothing to worry about. They also knew that "clean" drinking water is NO WHERE to be found in many of these villiages. They are unable to get access to healthy drinking water. So breast milk really is best for infants who want a CHANCE at survival. Nestle KNEW this but for profit decided money is better than life. So go ahead, don't blame Nestle, but when you find out they have some additive harming your child - don't be so shocked.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• huh. im going to look this up. thanks for the info...this should be something every mom feels strongly for....
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 2:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• yeah, have fun with that. i just have to wonder, the adults clean thier own water right?....so how can they be dumb enough not to use clean water for the babies? common sense...stupidity killed those babies, not a company.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 3:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Have You ever bin in Africa?????? There are countrys were they just don't have clean water.Maybe start doing something about that not saying bad things about one company.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It's common sense to use clean water. If there isn't clean water available, then how is that Nestle's fault?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• We discussed this in college. The World Court found Nestle guilty of neglect. Part of the issue was that Nestle was sending people in lab coats, dressed as doctors to talk to the women about formula. Made it sound like they could get back to regular duties easier without needing to carry the baby with them all the time, someone could feed formula. They then gave a large samples out that would cover a couple weeks. Many women would stop lactating and not be able to go back to breastfeeding. The cost of the formula was an issue, since it was expensive, many women cut it down with more water. Then the water contamination issue was a big problem. This was a big factor in the World Health Organization announcing support for women to breastfeed until 2.
    Nestle had not stopped that practice at that time, I don't know about now. I did stop buying products, but it is hard there are many subsidiaries.
    erin2well

Answer by erin2well at 8:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Agree with pp. Not Nestle's fault they don't have access to clean water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I wouldn't boycott Nestle. I think getting clean water in many of those areas is really difficult. I think the mothers give their children what they have available. They don't choose to give them dirty water.

I'm sure those mothers would much rather give their children clean water but there may not any available. I think energy would be better placed in getting clean water to those mothers than boycotting the company that donates the formula. JMO
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 8:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Two quotes come to mind. In terms of Nestle's thinking, it reminds me of, "let them eat cake". In terms of Nestle's donation of formula, it reminds me of ,"no good deed goes unpunished".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Yeah, um. Whatever you say frog. Overdramatic much?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008